Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Arnaud Saget Of Loire Valley Visits Cleveland Park Wines Tues, May 4th, 2010 W/ Steve Rowland, Tastes DOM DE LA PERRIERE SANCERRE , DOM. SAGET P. Fume



It was fun to meet Arnaud Saget the who's family owns GUY SAGET wines from the Loire Valley in France. For years I have been selling Arnaud's family wines and I did not know that the DOMAINE DE LA PERRIERE Sancerre was theirs. It's the one that I know the best of these four.




Steve Rowland that is now back with Pasternak Imports after a long run with Billington Imports called me to confirm that he could stop by to show me the GUY SAGET Loire Valley wines. He did not tell me at the time that he had one of the family members with him and so that surprised me when I saw him. It was a very welcome surprise and we immediately launched into some nice conversation in French.




Arnaud had four wines : 1) a Muscadet Sevre Et Maine that they do not own but represent, 2) a La Petite Perriere Sauvignon Blanc made to the nothwest of the town of Tour, 3) a DOMAINE DE LA PERRIERE Sancerre et 4) a DOMAINE SAGET Pouilly-Fume. I got to try all four and enjoyed all of them as they were fresh, bright, balanced and very well-made. I could enjoy any of the four depending on the occasion or meal. They all make me want to have some food with them once that I try them because they all have varying degrees of mineral, citrus, acidity and fruit.





I enjoyed taking all of these photos and trying to capture a good picture with Arnaud with his wine , the wine glass, the bottle of his wine. I like showing the relationship between all of these. It's nice to see the colors of these four wines. It's nice to have some visual images to go along with all the writing and the reviews.




I like this shot that I got of Arnaud above. It's more of an artsy photo but then I am an artist and I like to come up with some thought-provoking/evocative images.





I like the way the while lines that run up and down Arnaud's face that are the reflection in the Reidel wine glass of the bright ceiling lights of Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008, Tel: 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ) add contrast and definition to the image and Arnaud's face. It's a bit like face-painting to me and I like it.




I like that Arnaud brought some of the minerals found in the different Loire Valley soils and that show up in the flavors of these four wines. The two big stones are definitely in the taste of these wines : the thin slices of the mineral rock just by the cork at the back are also found in the Loire but Arnaud told me that they did not really affect the taste of these wines. He just wanted to show visually some of the mineral compositions found there.





Both Arnaud and I liked this image above as I wet the rock on top of the Reidel wine-tasting glass with some of the Sancerre to make it more visible and shiny.






The picture above is of the SAGET Pouilly-Fume and the mineral found there in the soil by the Loire river in Pouilly-Sur-Loire.







It was really nice to revisit these wines and I am sure that we will offer some of them soon. I will add the prices and the vintages once I get to the store. I am at home typing this now quickly so as to try and stay up with all the blogs that I still have to write and post. It's becoming a daunting task and labor of love as more people are coming to see us at Cleveland Park now each and every day. Wish me luck.

Merci Arnaud pour cette belle degustation et a la prochaine fois! TONY

No comments: