Friday, March 12, 2010

Rosa Of AGUR Vineyards, Israel Tastes " Judean Hills " Kessem Cab. Sauv& Merlot Red 2006 & AGUR Cab. Sauv. #1757 Sp. Res. '05 W/ Danielle, 3/12/10

Thank you Rosa for pouring for us these two AGUR dry reds of you. Love this energy!


This was a great serendipitous wine-tasting with Rosa of the AGUR Vineyards
in the Judean Hills of Israel. Rosa came with Danielle our rep from Dionysos Imports. We have known Rosa who has been to our store in Cleveland Park now three or four times already over the years. She has even been in the store for one of our " Big Theme " monthly tastings and so now knows the store really well. It's always great to see you Rosa! Thanks for coming by with Danielle to taste me on your current two releases that you tell me are the last that are not kosher. I enjoyed them very well.




I liked both reds but I especially liked the 2005 Reserve AGUR Cabernet Sauvignon. It spoke to me volumes over the 2006 AGUR red blend Judean Hills Kessem Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. I can't remember exactly what it was just now but I simply did not enjoy the " mouth-feel " as much and that may be simply that I was not having a meal with it. It may still have been a bit too young for me and not " fleshed-out" as much as it could have been - needing more character and plot development-or kneading more work on the damp clay to turn it into the liquid sculpture that it was meant to be? I would have loved to go across to Byblos Cafe/Deli and get one of their special Mediterranean dishes to enjoy with both.

Come to think of it Rosa and Danielle I should have invited you both over to Byblos Cafe to enjoy the food and these two excellent AGUR Israeli reds. Now that would have been fun, that would have been special, that would have given me a whole other blog to write about where food and wine are combined and how the " true magic " can occur by combining the two together. Where another flavor or taste is created by doing this combining of the two and where this " new flavor " did not exist in either of the two before. That's magic, that's wine and food and good company and relaxing and enjoying the fruit of one's labor as well as giving thanks, too. I love all of this. Silly me, why was I not thinking then? Why was I so invested in my work and in selling wine that I did not just stop to " smell the roses " and to celebrate life and being alive?!?! Argh! Oh well, I enjoyed this tasting immensely.





The 2005 had more evolved flavors that smelled of the earth and the soil, the vibes and the baked sun, the toasted and fermented juices having been assaulted by ravenous yeasts/beasts - no mercy shown during a cavalry barrage of ferocious tame or wild yeasts? I did not ask you Rosa? This 2005 Reserve spoke of life lived fully and satisfyingly : some battles won, some lost. That's life.




There were highs and lows to this Reserva 2005 AGUR Cabernet Sauvignon and not just a safe middle. I like it when a wine fights back : gives me attitude/latitude - chews on me some be it strongly, tenderly ( ah Elvis you do croon : " Love me tender " ... ). This wine of course leads to food, it leads to company, it leads to high and lofty ideals and pursuits - dreams and fantasies and vast vistas and views and valleys and meadows and more. It also drops into ravines and lows that grab you in the gut, churn and burn and drive you mad and wild and your blood can and will certainly come to a boil if you let it.




Or with the 2005 Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon you may just go so slowly and so sublimely into a night's " good-night " with having been bustled and jostled and teased and pained- strained-brained and refrained hearing the gutsy refrain from this 2005 each and every time that you swallow and wallow in it's perky/fierce and flamed red Cab juices that you are at last soothed and rocked and cradled and nestled nicely as you close your eyes and either drift off into sleep or into a reverie that raises the edges of your lips up into that unmistakable shit-eating grin of bad-boy/bad-girl satisfaction of actual or dreamed self-indulgences .... ahhhh, so sweet life is ...




In the picture above you see the actual color of the wine. I like to show that by the bottle itself. It's also nice that the brochure that you brought with you Rosa is there so that when you enlarge the picture on your monitor screen you may see some of what is written to connect better the two and the moment here in Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel:202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ). You both told me that we were one of your first choices of stores to visit today and that pleases me greatly to know that you both like being here, feel comfortable and look forward to your visits to Cleveland Park.




I took lots of pictures and I edited many of them out here as there are simply too many to include here. However, I have included some of the more artsy/capricious and playful pictures that I gambled on as I snapped my Canon camera in the direction of either you Rosa or you Danielle. I would click quickly as I did this, as you both moved and I would hope for the best later. What I just saw a few minutes ago on my other blog site : chatart.blogspot.com blew me away for their many nuances of expressions and intensity of light and movement and feminine beauty in motion. Check it out, too as I will post it shortly and add to it as I am able over this weekend. It is now Saturday morning here in northern Virginia at 9:52 AM on March 13th, 2010 and I have to head off to work really soon to sell more wine for the weekend. It's a rainy, wet, cool and damp weekend and so I feel pretty certain that we will be quite busy.




Thanks Rosa for serving us all these excellent two reds here of yours from AGUR. I spoke with Danielle and as you heard have arranged for her to taste your two AGUR Judean Hills, Israeli dry red Bordeaux-style wines next weekend here in the store with our customers. I will add the exact date and time when I get to the store. Everyone is welcome to come taste the wines then if they would like to taste first-hand how excellent they both are.




Look at that beautiful color of red in the glass being poured for either me or for Chris Barker? I can't wait to try them again next weekend. Join us and stay-tuned for more of this blog as I will finish it this weekend. In the meantime enjoy what I have here so far. Cheers, TONY




















No comments: