Friday, March 26, 2010

March 2010 Tastings : Didier Simonin Et Justin Of SIMON N CELLARS : Alsace Katz " Gentille " Dry White Blend Et REMOISSENET White Burgundy



I've written the serious blog here already on Didier Simonin ( Simon 'N Cellars, Charlottesville, Virginia ) and his fine hand-picked selections of small-productive, hand-crafted French wines. This blog entry is more for me and all you artists out there that like to look at fun angles and pictures that take on " new lives " because of the way that I with my Canon digital camera's " lens-eyes " have captured them. I could not really do this without the assistance of my valuable camera working in conjunction with my eye. I like that I do not always know what I will get here as an image. I like that I am at the mercies of forces that I mix with as often as I can and yet I know that they are far greater than myself.

I love the picture above now that I get a chance to look at it more closely. At the time that I am composing and snapping pictures off as if I'm driven and possessed it is nice to finally take that better look to see what the two of us have managed to pull off. Sometimes it's okay, sometimes quite good, sometimes a disaster and sometimes brilliant! I never really know until I get a chance to enlarge them here on the monitor's screen. That's when I get a much better idea of what our two eyes have pieced together for all of our enjoyment later.

I hope that I get pictures that test us and our abilities to see and to appreciate all the components, textures, images, distortions, reflections in the glass of the tinted or clear bottles as well as those through the Reidel wine-tasting glasses that I often use. It's all such a fun, crazy, mad and intense rush of composing and framing and addressing and snapping as quickly as I can once that I " see " an interesting image on my Canon screen! No time to lose : no time to spare. Go for it : go for it quickly, now, no time like now!




It's fun to see what my eyes and my hand can do as I move the Canon camera close to the glass of this blend of three grapes " Gentile " KLUR, " Katz " Alsace wine around the label to draw out various aspects of this black-and-white drawing of the cat. I've always loved this wine and this label and have sold it at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits now for many years. On Tuesday I will have this new vintage to see to our customers in Washington D.C. and that pleases me greatly.




Light and warmth and distractions and distortions here all in one with this white wine and the bright ceiling lights of the store above playing off of each other in really interesting ways. I love it : so much going on and the bright lights crop and dice up the image to draw attention to the various parts and hopefully make it easier and more enjoyable to the eyes and the brain that has to decipher the parts of the whole image ...




I love that the nose image here of the black and white pussy cat is made up of the letters Katz and it all works so well.




I took this picture above of the back label and the print here of many small white letters on a black background are extended and distorted to the point that they look like some extinct language filled with clues that you might have to decipher like the Egyptian hieroglyphics. I like this - fun. It makes me stretch my mind here.




Sometimes I angle the Reidel wine glass in such a way as to see what my Canon camera and it's eye tied to mine can produce in a " new " view or image. I never know exactly what I will get and this excites me. I usually have to enlarge the image lat a much later date here on my monitor to see exactly what we have captured here with out team work : human and machine. Sometimes the results are really great - other times still thought-provoking and inspiring.




Here above is a picture of the white burgundy Remoissenet Pere Et Fils that I have covered the label with the wine that comes from inside the bottle that it is on. I like all the golden hues and tones - great luminosity here and it's very tranquil and meditative. Nice.




Here above label and Reidel wine glass shape work together to make up the image and draw attention to the various parts of wine color, glass, label and the wood table top that the wine bottle is standing on.




In this picture above I focus on the small neck label that tells us the vintage of the wine which I believe was a 2007? I love all the reflections, the gold colored hues of this white 100% Chardonnay burgundy. I love all the commotion above like fireworks going off or a rocket taking off and all the calm and firm sturdiness of the Remoissenet Pere Et Fils green bottle below. It works : action and excitement above and a serene stately calmness below : two extremes that coexist in harmony here along with the Reidel wine-tasting glass and all the light reflections provided by the rectangular ceiling lights above.

I had fun, lots of fun : and it's all quite quick and I simply believe that something good will come from all of this. Some won't work and that's okay. I don't worry about that. I work to expand my horizons and find new ways of looking at the things g=here before me : the people that bring me these wines, the wines themselves outside of their bottles, the wine glass, the labels on the bottles and everything hopefully tied together in creative and fun ways and that hopefully inspire everyone looking at the pictures and reading the stories and text want to go an purchase one or both of these wines here from France : from Alsace and from Burgundy.

Hope you enjoyed this. I sure did enjoy putting it all together here on Sunday night at 10:54 PM here at home in northern Virginia on April 18th, 2010. Cheers, TONY

No comments: