Wednesday, March 17, 2010

CHATEAU St. MICHELE, NORTH STAR, SNOWQUALMIE, NXNW Washington State " Big Theme " Wine-Tasting Wed. March 10th, 2010 : Tasting Wines Before Event



This was a great preview wine-tasting of the CHATEAU STE. MICHELE,SNOQUALMIE, COL SOLARE, NORTHSTAR, SHOOTING STAR and NXNW Washington State wines with rep Chris Manning of Republic-National distributors about a week or so before our Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits " Big Theme " wine-tasting of about thirty-three wines here in our store on Wednesday, March 10th ( 5:30-8:30 PM ) . Chris did his job really well and brought Chris Barker and me about ten or so wines to sample from these five vineyards and I must say it was a great eye-opener for me that has not tried many Washington State wines like this at one time in quite awhile.




Thanks Chris. This reminded me of years ago when I went with a small group of the Forman Brothers distributors ( 6/25-27/1998 ) to Washington State with Lisa Drake to both CHATEAU STE. MICHELE and then to COLUMBIA CREST. That was quite the trip and they rolled out all the red carpets and treated us like kings and queens. In some ways this long-overdue " Big-Theme " Washington State wine-tasting was a silent " thank you " from me to them because of all they did to expand my knowledge and appreciation for all that was happening in the exciting wine business there. I loved what I saw and what I tasted and came away with only the highest regard for all that they have accomplished. In my humble opinion then and now the wines of Washington State are on a very high plateau of excellence on pretty much ever level and price range. There's great value for one's money in Washington State and I love the balance and the finesse and that the wines are by-and-large food-friendly on varied and that they do not rely on excessive amounts of alcohol and overblown fruit extraction to make them popular. To me they add to a meal and to an event and play their part and do not try to steal the show.




I took some notes here and will include them as I have a chance. Chris came to pour these wines later on Wednesday March 10th, 2010 and we sold quite a few bottles including one of my all-time favorites : Jed Steele's Blue Franc ( Blaufrankisch ) that he has now made for fifteen or more years ( $14.49 ) and that many of our customers at Cleveland Park have enjoyed and returned repeatedly asking for more. It's fun and exciting and always a " new " experience for them.




I will write more soon but in the meantime enjoy these photos that I took of this delightful and informative wine-tasting. Cheers and stay-tuned, TONY





No comments: