Thursday, March 25, 2010

Barbara Lawson Wed. March 24th,2010, 5-7PM @ Cleveland Park Wines Tasting Her Excellent Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Pinot Gris, Gewurtz and Pinot Noir



This was anther great tasting with Barbara Lawson that I have now known for many years indeed. first met her an her husband that has unfortunately passed away now a the Yanyu restaurant that is now the Dino restaurant. Roger Turner that represented LAWSON'S then arranged with me t do a tasting of their wines at this wine-maker dinner of theirs at Yanyu We arranged a tasting of the wines at Clevland ParkWines & Spirits where I manage the wine department either before or after the dinner. We were off to a running start with LAWSON'S New Zealand Marlborough wines . That must have been back in 2002 r 2003? I cannot remember exactly now. However, we have sold the wines on-and-off at Cleveland ark ever since and they have always been well liked and we-received.




Thanks Roger for arranging this dinner with us many years ago. It was a great start to a beautiful relationship. Where are you now Roger? I miss not having you come around the store anymore with interesting people like the Lawsons to meet and taste their wines. Good luck to you wherever you may be, doing whatever that may be. Is it still wine or did you get out of the business entirely? Anyway, it was fun and always an experience to work with you on our various wine-related endeavors. And of course I do have you to thank for bringing us the Lawsons.

Barbara did come a year or more ago with the others in her group that included wineries in Australia ( LONGVIEW, GIBSON, LOOSE END, WEST CAPE HOWE, PICARDY, HAY SHED HILL, VINACEOUS ) and we did with them all an excellent in-store wine-tasting and sold a whole heap of wines then! That's an American old-west saying I suppose : " whole heap "? I like it : it fits here. Australia and the wild west of the U.S. are both pretty big spaces.






WE tasted mostly all whites with Barbara on this late afternoon, early evening at the store from 5-7 PM, Wednesday, March 24th, 2010 at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel : 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ). WE also tasted Barbara's excellent dry red Pinot Noir. They all sold well.




WE started with the dry Sauvignon Blanc and then continued onto the dry Riesling, dry Gewurztraminer, dry Pinot Gris, too. I think that the only wine that we did not try of Barbara's this go-round was the dry Chardonnay. I am at home typing this now and about to rush off to work to start selling more wines like these excellent LAWSON Kiwi wines. I do not have vintages and prices in front of me and will add them shortly as that's important as well.

So, I have a lot more to say and to add but I want to get these pictures and what I already have posted now as I am running out of time and I do not want to forget you Barbara or your excellent wines. I also want to share them vicariously with the whole world here in this blog entry of mine. Cheers to you Barbara and to your excellent, balanced, bright, crisp, lively and very refreshing wines from Marlborough that represent a very fine value here in the U.S. I loved your Sauvignon Blanc on this evening. It was my favorite of the bunch. It hit all the right places for me and I could have easily just stopped everything then and there and enjoyed a bottle of it and a meal talking about life and art and wine and everything positive then and there with you. Thanks for coming and for the rest of you stay-tuned as there will be more to come shortly. Cheers, TONY


















No comments: