Tuesday, March 23, 2010

An Afternoon In The Life Of Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits Saturday March 20th, 2010 : Danielle Tastes AGUR Judean Hills, " Lisa " Muscat Portuguese



This blog entry is more about the fun and the excitement and the energy flowing and bouncing off of everyone here at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel:202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ) this past Saturday afternoon when Danielle of Dionysos Imports tasted two Israeli dry reds from AGUR in the Judean Hills, not kosher yet, : a 20026 Cabernet and Merlot red blend, $22.99 : and a 2005 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, $26.99 : as well as the " Lisa " dry Portuguese Muscat ( $13.49 ) and the dry, clean and crisp Chilean Sauvignon Blanc, $7.99. We had a good turn out considering the beautiful day and many people lingered and tasted and talked and relaxed. You can this in all of these pictures that I took randomly walking up and down the store wanting to catch " candids " without catching their attention.




I may add more depending on my time. In the meantime enjoy these photos. Cheers, TONY




It's always a treat to see so many of our regular customers and to catch up with them when possible : to discover that they are engaged or about to get married, just married or about to have a baby. We also discover that they are moving, about to get a new job, still looking in earnest for a job, their mother, father or relative has just passed away. It's a bonding time as we relax and share something : one thing leading to another ; one thought expressed making one of us thing of something else to add. I think that the people that shopw with us at Cleveland Park like this and in a way count on it , too. I know that I do. It's my life-sustaining/life- ( why-I-am-!-alive? ) affirming moment?! It's something positive any way I slice it. Enough said.




As we/ I consider the future of small retail shops like ours I often think of these things? Will we/I be relevant and important still - and for how long? We/I don't want to just be like the traffic cop or someone that points to where something is located in a store or on a street. I want to add something that is not found simply on a scree somewhere. I want there to be our/my voice : or faces/my face also right there as we help our customers with whatever brought them to us this moment in the first place? What was it? A bottle of wine, some cooking marsala? Did they need a present for someone that had taken care of their cat or dog while they were away?




Did they come because they wanted to taste some wine before buying a bottle for later that evening or perhaps the next day when they were invited out and wished to bring a bottle to add to that event?

We hear it all : believe me. That's what keeps it so interesting and never boring for us. There is always an influx of regular faces as well as new ones to meet and greet and treat with respect and with honesty. Just saying " hello " and acknowledging someone, saying : " nice to see you again ", " how are you? ", " good to see you ", even the simplest : " hello " with a pause, a moment of eye contact and a smile is essential in my humble opinion.




We added the AGUR wines of the Judean Hills of Israel with Passover coming so soon. I know that the wines are not kosher yet and we tell everyone that. However, they are excellent and made in Israel and I know that it is important for many shopping for kosher wines for Passover that it is important to them to support Israel.So maybe they can use one of these at another time? I think so : the response was very strong and we sold a number of bottles of each this Saturday.





As I said before Danielle of Dionysos Imports was nice enough to come and pour all these wines this afternoon. Hopefully the next time that we pour the AGUR wines that owner Rosa will come herself and maybe even bring Shuki the owner/wine-maker with her, too. Check out his previous blog entry here when he first came to visit us years ago.





































No comments: