Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sal Furfari, Old Friend Of Mine, Rep For Bacchus Imports Tastes LA VIEILLE FERME, RUST EN VREDE Wines Wed. Feb. 17th, 2010 @ Cleveland Park Wines

I've known Sal for a long time : he refers to Pandora and me as the other two


in the trio that makes up the Three Musketeers. For some reason it sticks out in both of our memories years ago way back in the late eighties or the early nineties how we all met up by chance on the corner of two major thoroughfares like Calvert Street and Connecticut Avenue I believe. We may have all just emerged from Sherry's Liquor and Wines or Pandora might have just come out of one of the local restaurants there? I don't remember exactly anymore. But that moment in time for some reason everything came together as if in one big epiphany : we realized at that moment the bond that we had formed over the years as salespeople working for one of the local D.C. metropolitan wholesalers. That's nice and Sal mentions it every time with a smile when he describes our past histories. I smile, too each time that he tells it. Pandora is now off in Florida someplace still working I believe in the business but having climbed the social wholesale ladder I believe may be now a part-owner/advisor? Is that it Sal?






Here I have taken some artsy photos of Sal pouring for me some of his selections that he was carrying around on Wednesday, February 17th, 2010 in his wine bag of " goodies " to entice us to stop everything taste and buy immediately. That's always the hope and the plan and the best result that one may have as a rep for a wholesale house. I remember those days all too well as I worked for first Laurent Selections, then Wines Limited and finally for Forman Brothers when JP and I stopped seeing eye-to-eye on how to best take care of the customer and we parted company immediately.

It may have been one of the greatest in-disguise blessings of my life as it returned me to the arena of customers that come to see me at Cleveland Park along with the owners/wine-makers/reps/distributors/national sales managers/brand managers/wine-writers/wine-bloggers/embassies/etc that make up a wonderful world of individuals and personalities all coming to see me andprovide me with such great food for thought. Thanks JP : you may have with your distrust of our working relationship helped me without meaning to or knowing it.

I immediately took the job that was open and pretty much instantly offered to me by manager Mark Wessels of MacArthur ( Addy Bassins ) Beverages. I started within a couple of days after severing my business relationship with Forman Brothers and the wholesale business. However, I still remember fondly all of the connections that I made as a rep for the three wholesale houses ( Laurent Selections, Wines Limited and Forman Brothers ) both with colleagues " on the street " as well as those that purchased both in stores and in restaurants. Those were some mighty fine days. "

Of course at this point that all seems like a lifetime ago and yet the connections that meant anything in the first place still stand strong and lasting at least in my mind. That's one reason I keep thinking these days of Robert Whale and have made a note to call him soon and order some of his fine " cold-climate- food-wine " Aussie and Kiwi wines. He needs my support now as things are very difficult with the continued drought in Australia as well as the debacle that the large houses like Fosters have made for the small growers trying to sell their more expensive yet fabulously-priced selections of Aussie wines that compete beautifully in many cases for value and taste against anything else currently available on the international market. So, having got a bit off the track I now return you to our scheduled program and say : thanks Sal. You also have some fine Aussie wines like those of the YALUMBA portfolio that we enjoy selling at Cleveland Park off-and-on.

Pandora, how are you these days? Do you like having been thought of as one of the three muskateers way back when? Perhaps you will stumble upon this wine blog of mine someday? If you do please comment and or email me at my : tonythewineguy@gmail.com address. I hope that you are well. and I look forward to hearing how life has been for you in sunny Florida for the last fifteen or more years.




But this blog is also about the two bottles of wine that I tasted with you Sal on this afternoon. There were more than the two pictured here and I am valiantly trying now almost two weeks later to remember which they were? I have to say that the two that I have these pictures of I liked very much. They were both so different these two reds : but equally satisfying and well-worth the money.

I think that this may have been a Vineyard Brands day for Sal as I believe that the RUST EN VREDE from Stellenbosch, South Africa is still represented by Danny Haas of Vineyard Brands? Is this correct Sal?

There are so many brands to keep track of today and many of them do change wholesaler hands frequently which is not always the best thing.




LA VIEILLE FERME from the Cotes Du Ventoux region of the southern Rhone is made by CHATEAU BEAUCASTEL in the Chateauneuf-Du-Pape region of the southern Rhone ( and perhaps it's most famous, too ). They make a series of wines including both reds and whites with different tiers of pricing and quality though the overall quality is always the highest for whichever price bracket. That's never in dispute. However, for a small store like ours trying to maintain our own identity and continue to " add to the existing equation " or wines available the first question to be posed with LA VIEILLE FERME ( the old barn/farm ) is : " But these wines are in every store "? I am referring to stores like Calvert Woodley up the street on Connecticut Avenue that gives many of these known brands away as " lost liters " to draw the customers to their store and not ours.

Sal's response to my question about LA VIEILLE FERME being available everywhere was quickly : " no, you'd be surprised now Tony ".

This 2008 dry red LA VIEILLE FERME Cotes Du Ventoux was lovely , really quite charming : attractive indeed. Not heavy, not sharp, no edges here just a lovely bright red cherry/berry toastiness that prompted me to say to myself : " What's not to like here? " for both taste and for value?!? I remember when owner Marc Perrin came with Olivier Lotterie of Vineyard Brands years ago to the store and they poured the everyday PERRIN red and white as well as the CHATEAU BEAUCASTEL Chateauneuf-Du-Pape reds ( the 1996 was wonderful ) as well as two older whites - one a single vineyard I believe that sold immediately.

And just to show you how these reps like Sal Furfari and Danny Haas and Olivier Lotterie all do their jobs : Danny was reminding me that I was out of the LA VIEILLE FERME magnums and that they represented great value for the wine you get at the price and that I should order more! Thanks Danny ; you were right about that.

I am sure that Sal will talk me into buying some soon as I really have no argument left for not buying it. Besides, Sal and I are friends and I like giving him business when I can and it works for Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits as well as for Bacchus and him. That's smart business : that's teamwork.




I spoke with Sal just this last Wednesday and have ordered both the RUST EN VEDRE and the LA VIEILLE FERME to come with his order from the N. Empson portfolio of excellent Italian and New Zealand wines. On Wednesday, March 3rd, 2010 we will receive these two wines as well as those from PODERI COLLA ( a longtime favorite of Piemonte ), VILLA LA SELVA ( another favorite Tuscan fattoria ), PEGASUS BAY, VOSS, PEREGRINE ( all three from Neil Empson's own country New Zealand ) and more. All on great inventory reduction and this is wonderful : like our PODERI COLLA declassified 2002 Barolo ( they made none - it was an extremely difficult vintage ) and called it only by it's grape variety Nebbiolo. It will sell for $12.99 a bottle and make a great everyday meal dry red that is fully-mature and ready to drink.

It may not be grand but it will not cost the $40-$100 that many Barolos cost today. If you close your eyes and enjoy it with any flavorful Italian meal that is hearty and well-seasoned I think you will be more than satisfied and rewarded as it is classic/traditional wine making that was designed from start-to-finish to complement food. Twenty-five cases come to the store this Wednesday. Come by and check it out as Chris Barker and I will open the wines from Wednesday through Saturday to let everyone know just exactly what they are buying and getting themselves into. LIke a full-disclosure : what can be any better than this?!?




I probably have more to say here but I do want to post this now before work on Saturday morning here from my home in northern Virginia on February 27th, 2010 at 9:11 AM.

As I said Sal came by on Wednesday and I will download those pictures that I took of the wines he was tasting. So stay-tuned. Cheers and enjoy the weekend with some LA VIEILLE FERME dry red 2008 Cotes Du Ventoux ( elegant, medium-to-light-bodied, great balance, smooth, easy to enjoy ) and RUST EN VREDE Stellenbosch dry South African Merlot ( bigger, denser, darker, more toasty and robust, medium-bodied and great with a well-seasoned meal. Merlot that shows the versatilty, power and enduring quality of good Merlot ... ) wherever you may be. TONY

No comments: