Sunday, January 10, 2010

Gustavo Of Vinifera Imports Tastes In 2009 : ALTAVILLA, Tenuta MORMORAIA, ZENI, PELISSERO & FATTORIA MONTELLORI Wines @ Cleveland Park



This was a fun tasting indeed with Gustavo back in 2009 when he worked for Vinifera Imports. He always brought me interesting wines whether or not I could afford them. I always enjoyed tasting with him because I always discovered a taste that I love in Italian wines as there are many that I love and the Vinifera portfolio captures many of them.




I tried to buy as many as I could but I never felt that the company worked well with us : it was always on their own terms and that is difficult to say the least for a small retail store like mine or a restaurant as well. Make it work for us : listen to Tim Gunn! We will all be happier and you will do more business.




I don't say this to Gustavo : I say it to the owner of Vinifera that came recently to the store with Sotiris Bafitis. That was at the end of 2009 when Gustavo had already left and he had taken his place. The owner of Vinifera hear from me that I was going to go to Italy and he promised to contact one of the most important Chianti producers and arrange a tasting for me and my daughter. I never heard anything from anyone after that. I guess if you say you are going to do something then you should do it : that's the lesson here for me.




This is Gerard one of our favorite customers trying some of these excellent wines on his lunch break. He often comes and buys both food and wine to take back to his Transo office to share with the other workers there. Bravo Gerard!




On this visit Gustavo had at least seven wines. You can see many of them in the first picture included here. We tasted : 1) ALTAVILLA Della Corte, 2) TENUTA MORMORAIA 2006 Chianti Colli Senesi, 3) ZENI Teroldego indigenous grape variety Rotalino red from Trentino or is it Alto Adige ? 4) PELISSERO Piani 2004 Barbera D'Alba , 5 ) " Salamartina " 1999 FATTORIA MONTELLORI , and more including a red from a Barbaresco producer and the white Sauvignon Blanc.

I visited with my daughter Alessandro Nieri the owner of FATTORIA MONTELLORI when we were there the last week of October, 2009 and we had a marvelous time. I am trying to buy the current vintages from Red Ink Imports but my local rep tells me that these wines are not available in our market. Is that correct? I want to have some of these tasty reds of Alessandro's once again in our store to sell. Help me if you can ...




I have more to say but I will post this anyway for the time-being. It's way overdue as it is now Tuesday, March 9th, 2010 here at home in northern Virginia as I get ready to head off to work at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel:202-363-4265 , sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ). I loved the 1999 " Salamartina " super Tuscan red by the way.




Stay-tuned for more. Thanks Gustavo and good luck to you wherever you are. Cheers, a presto ... TONY

No comments: