Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Mostly NICOLAS Selections French Wine Labels ( Bought & Enjoyed In Paris, France ) I Soaked Off Bottles With Great Pains Of The 70's



To get these labels off back then it was quite the labor of love and I had to sweat to get some of them off and I am thrilled that I did because now I still have them to look back at my humble beginnings back in the very early 1970's when we moved to Paris, France and my father, a career foreign service officer became the chief/consul of visas at the American Embassy in the Talleyrand building just off the Place De La Concorde.




I lived later with my family at 63 Avenue Paul Doumer in the 16th arrondisement and my father and I would go shopping for wines for dinner in the neighborhood NICOLAS stores below and come home with our finds/discoveries, These are some of those " finds ".




My , how labels have changed since back then?!? I like their old charm and though they may be dated they still have some interesting designs that either work entirely with their simplicity or in parts with their complex designs and color and graphic use that can seem archaic as well as jarring sometimes in color contrasts.




I like what is written on the labels. You have to enlarge all of these on your monitor screen for full effect.




I am sorry that these are not the best photos as they are photos I took of the labels and sometimes are a bit blurry. I will do better the next time and include better pictures sometime soon.




In the meantime these still convey a lot of the effects of these old labels from the early 1970's. I hope that you enjoy them.

Dad, I sure did have a blast going to the different NICOLAS stores in those first years of living in Paris, France with you and the family. It was grand beginning for us : and wonderful moments shared with you back then in an incredible city.

Cheers and Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to one and to all. TONY

No comments: