Monday, November 2, 2009

Flying Home From Milan. Italy Sunday, November 1st, 2009

This was a great relief to finally be at the Malpensa airport just outside of Milan, Italy in the Lombardy area that produces so much fine Nebbiolo-based wines in the Valtelina region ( Inferno, Sfursat, Grumello and more ) as well as the really flavorful sparkling wines of the Franciacorta region like Bella Vista for example. On my last evening by myself and feeling quite sad about this state of affairs I enjoyed a half bottle of 2005 Sassela with my risotto and mushrooms that I found to be outstanding. The Sassela needed the food as it was medium-bodied-to-light and still both a bit closed and tight. I loved it traditional dried and rustic quality that reminded me of fried fruits with some engaging spice and earthy, warmed Italian turf overtones. I would both order the bottle again as well as sell it at our store Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel: 202-363-4265 anthonyquinn@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ). I wish that there were more quality half bottles like this available for us to buy and sell our customers in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area. It cost me 16 euros I believe on the wine list at the Best Western where I stayed the last night ( Saturday, October 30th, 2009 - Halloween night! Boo!! ).

Yes, I stayed in Best Western as they were running a great Saturday night special on a room. My good friend Alessandro Furlan found this out for me and informed me of it the night before as my daughter and I enjoyed a completely authentic Italian meal ( all in Italian - no one there spoke a word of English! ) and a glass each of a just slightly sparkling Prosecco. The accommodations were excellent and the food I ate along with this half-bottle of 2005 Sassela were outstanding. My service was professional but nothing more from either of the two servers.

I had a long flight home and met Marco from Lombardy ( Cuomo ) as well as our flight captain J.C. from J.F. K airport to National airport. I had great conversations with both that of course included wine as many observations of life. I will include all of these as I have a chance but for now I will be putting out a series of outlines to begin with that reflect the course of my week in Italy with my daughter from Sunday.October 25th through Sunday, November 1st, 2009.

On my Air Italia flight from MIlan to J.F.K. airport I asked for some red wine and they gave me a bottle of 2008 FREI called " Redwood ____ " : I can't remember the last name. I was disappointed not to be served something Italian as I had enjoyed some of the very best Italian wines from Tuscany this past week including some others from Italy, too ( Veneto, Naples, Lombardy, ). I tried this Cabernet Sauvignon from FREI and seriously could not drink it and so poured it back into the 187 ml-size bottle carefully. It just tasted like a lab chemical experiment and I wondered where the fruit was of the Cabernet Sauvignon grape from which they started?

I will add photographs etcetera as I can. In the meantime stay-tuned for a whole series of blogs on this incredible Italian week filled with new experiences and insights. I sure do understand why everyone goes there and continually returns for more.

Cheers, Caio, TONY

No comments: