Monday, November 2, 2009

Finding My Daughter In Milan, Italy @ The Stazione Centrale Train Station On Sunday Late Afternoon, Oct. 25th, 2009

I had images of this station from both my friends Marco Riminelli and David Pinzolo as I finally got off the bus from Mapensa international airport and tried to find the entrance to the Stazione Centrale train station.

I had just been on a bus that quickly cut a path through parts of Milan that were so covered in graffiti that I had to almost stop and pinch myself because of this. Could it really be true that there was this much graffiti everywhere they eye landed or rested? I could not believe my eyes. I did not find it either overly artistic , inspiring or very beautiful. To the contrary : I shuddered and wondered just how this could be? So many people expressing themselves/ disheartened, upset, mad or in love with graffiti as an art form?!? I simply did not know but I did not enjoy the cumulative effect of all this constant graffiti in every color scheme as well as black and white plastered and painted just about anywhere that there was space.

Anyway I was thrilled to be finally here after having to be re-routed from my original plan of landing in Milan to landing In Paris, France ( at Charles De Gaule on Air France and not on Air Italia as originally scheduled if it had not been for the delay at Regan National airport the afternoon before.

I did on the positive side get to see Paris, France ( at least the airport ) and use some of my French and get to drink some really nice, dry Provencal rose ( called something like the Sixth Sense ? with a nice story on it ) as well as eat some excellent smoked salmon, too before arriving at Malpensa.

On the downside I was six to seven hours late in arriving in Milan with my daughter already there at the Stazione Centrale waiting very patiently for me ( thanks ) and they did manage to lose my luggage that obviously did not make our plane at JFK airport in New York. Ouch : that hurt but I was determined not to make a big deal about it as what mattered most was spending this week with my daughter.

They are working on this train station and it was pretty much boarded-up where we got off the bus and so I had to walk off to my left and get back on the path of finding the main entrance. Once I found it may or may not have been the main one : it was big and grand and imposing anyway and I quickly saw the signs that had been described via email and over the phone to me by Marco and David. Thanks guys.

I was late and I had already spoken to Abigail from Malpensa once I landed and just after buying my one-way ticket into Milan. I had a few minutes before the bus was to leave and so I was thrilled to be able to call her and communicate my place as we were both concerned about catching a train from Milan to Florence this evening.

She was able this way to go and purchase us tickets as she knew the train schedule and could accomplish this while I was on the bus. Magically it all worked out really well. Finding her in this maze though seemed almost as if it was going to be a problem as I took the escalator on up to the main floor and then would myself through the many rooms there and then back down another escalator and then out another grand entrance before turning back and spying her looking around desperately/keenly for me. She had already seen me minutes ago from up above and had come racing down to catch up with me, calling out my name as she did. I did not hear her call to me and as I approached her and called out her name she turned to face me with a big, broad smile on her face and we greeted and embraced one another in complete joy. Wow, we had made it and now quickly it was on to find our train that would soon be headed to Florence.

We did all this quite successfully and I am only sorry to say that it was now dark and we could not see the countryside as we sped towards Florence on a very comfortable train. Of course I began to speak to people and to make Italian friends immediately!

I have much more to say here but I think I will give it a rest tonight, Monday November 9th, 2009 before continuing shortly. I do have pictures to add here as well. Cheers, and stay-tuned. TONY

No comments: