Monday, November 2, 2009

Dinner W/ Half-Bottle Of RIACCA Valtelina Superiore 2005 @Great Western Hotel By Malpenza Airport Sat. Eve,, Oct. 31st, 2009



This meal in the Great Western Hotel just outside of Malpenza, Milan, Italy was delicious and I was only sorry not to be enjoying it at the time with my daughter that was already on her flight back to Cambridge, Italy. That was very bitter-sweet for me to be dining alone after a week of wonderful dining with her in Italy with glorious, unseasonably wonderful weather to boot!




The wine, a 2005 RIACCA Valtelina Superiore 100% Nebbiolo - 13% alc. by volume , from Lombardy was also marvelous. Together they made me almost feel better as I ate and enjoyed the two together. They paired very well this 2005 RIACCA Nebbiolo : a dry, traditional-style Nebbiolo red from the Valtellina region of Lombardy. I loved it's earthy, dusty-dry, pithy, warm-sun-dried/baked flavors of it's origin. It was brilliant as it was and great to pair with a meal. On it's own it would have been a bit too dry with the levels of acidity a bit sharp for most palates : but not when coupled with a meal.

This is my kind of wine and I love having it come from regions like the Valtellina that has been making it for centuries now. I want to keep all these diverse areas of wine production alive and well for years and centuries still to come.

I was so delighted to have noticed it on the wine list and in a half bottle that was perfect for me.




My service was acceptable though perfunctory and a bit cold I must say. There was no effort at all to do anything except the bare minimum that was required of the two men in the dining room. The food was however as I have already said quite brilliant along with the wine.

I was not expecting any of this but delighted to have stumbled upon it on my last night in Italy I am sure for quite some time to come!

Cheers, TONY

No comments: