Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tom Webb, Owner Of THELEMA Winery, South Africa Here In Cleveland Park Saturday Afternoon With Marcie Wenstein, Oct. 3rd, 2009 For Brief Visit

This was another completely wonderful and serendipitous visit from owner Tom of the South African winery THELEMA that I was fortunate enough to visit earlier this 2009 in March with John Morrison. Tom was not there but his father was and we had a brief visit the three of us before John and I had to head off to our next appointment that day.



John was nice enough to fit THELEMA into our busy schedule and I am grateful for having had the time to visit it for just about an hour before we really did have to rush off. We were late and it was in part because I wanted so much to make a connection with THELEMA and with Tom that is Marci Weinstein's friend. They were in oenolgy school back in Adelaide, South Australia years ago and have been friends ever since.




I told Marci that I had a day-off in South Africa and I asked her what she recommended that I do as she had also spent time in South Africa pursuing her wine career after leaving Adelaide. She was quite familiar with THELEMA even though she did not work there while in South Africa.

However, she was not familiar with the " new " tasting room so she had to see it through the pictures that I took quickly while there.




Anyway, Tom's name came up immediately once I said I had a day-off in South Africa and the emails started to go back and forth then between Marci and Tom.

It was great to get you to our store Tom. We ( I ) have been selling your wines now for years here at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue, N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel : 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ). They are sold not through Marci's company Constantine Wines where she now works but through the Cape Classics portfolio that is represented by the Country Vintners in Ashland, Virginia the home of my college alma mater Randolph-Macon College.




You were nice enough to bring Tom to the store Marci. I appreciate that : thanks. We did not taste any wines but I know their high quality already. I will just have to ask Arielle Monaco of the Country Vintners now to bring me some of them to taste.

It was just this past Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 when you both came by in the afternoon. Let's get together again soon and do an in-store wine-tasting for our Cleveland Park customers the next time Tom. Perhaps we could even organize a dinner with you? You are always welcome.

I will include a bit more info soon. In the meantime enjoy these photos taken in the store in our nation's capitol. Oh, and say " hello " to all those peacocks Tom that you have spreading their beautiful feathers running around on your grounds.

That's how I first saw your father Tom : he was coming from your house and passing by this flurry of activity and splendid colors of these peacocks and I was wondering who he was? I found out minutes later when we asked the young lady to speak with him and - voila! - there he appeared right before our eyes and that one small puzzle was solved. Cheers, TONY

1 comment:

thomas webb said...

It was great to see you Tony; and thanks for punting the South African wines!