Thursday, October 15, 2009

Peter Logan Of The LOGAN Winery in Mudgee, NSW Australia Visits Cleveland Park Wines, Washington D.C. W / Rep Sam Of LVDH 2nd Week Of 2009

It was great to finally meet Peter Logan , both the winemaker and the managing director of the LOGAN winery in Mudgee, NSW Australia the second week of October, 2009.



Sam of LVDH Imports that sells Peter's wines called to see if he could bring Peter by and I immediately said " yes " as all owners and winemakers are welcome anytime at Cleveland Park Wines with or without an appointment. It is because of both of them that the wines we enjoy even exist and so I always want o meet them and establish a connection. It's what counts the most to me over points and scores and attitude and hype and any advertising.




I always take a lot of pictures while I am sampling the wines. This was no exception. Peter and Sam had to be patient with me as I had many things to do and I was all by myself. I had customers to help, phones to answer, salespeople to deal with and orders to check in. This is a lot and though I multi-task all along it's still hard to concentrate as much as I would like. I miss some things and am always sorry for that. I do try and come away with as much as I possibly can from each and every one of these meetings.




Peter did not know me from Adam and I think I surprised him a bit and it took him awhile to warm to what I was doing and how I was doing it. I showed him my handywork as I snapped pictures and tasted his selection of excellent wines.




In the end he began to loosen up and to play along with what I was doing and I both liked and appreciated this.

Years ago John Peters who used to work for LVDH had brought us the Pinot Gris and we included it in at least two wine-tastings that John conducted with our Cleveland Park customers on the weekends.




I have most of my info back at the store. I am home now and quite tired and so I will post these pictures tonight and let them speak a bit for themselves. Tomorrow I will continue this blog and sill in more of the details that I am leaving out tonight.




For more technical information on LOGAN go to : peter@loganwines.com.au , loganwines.com.au , Castlereagh Highway, Apple Tree Flat, Mudgee, NSW 2850 Tel : +61 (0)2 6373 1333 Fax : +61 (0)2 6373 1390.




As you can see from the lineup of bottles on our tasting table I had my work cut out for me. I enjoyed these wines and must tell you more about them tomorrow.




In the meantime I hope you like my approach to taking pictures and that you indeed enjoy some of them.

Thanks Sam and Peter for a great tasting. Cheers, TONY











P.S. Peter asks me in the comments if I liked the wines? Of course I did quite a bit and I would have to say that I find them in general very good wines to pair with food. Overall they are flavorful, balanced , sometimes quite original : typical of the soil, climate and location and balanced. I would be happy to try them all with various meals that I might prepare at home and enjoy discussing how one flavor component in each wine might perfectly suit that one specific taste in a particular food? I like these fun exercises, really I do as ultimately they are very subjective and that subjective quality in each and everyone of us depends a lot on timing, mood, our aches and pains at any one given moment, what news we may have received just then or prior to drinking and eating? This is what keeps it all quite fascinating, really.



I still have to find my LOGAN notes and do intend to complete this very soon as it is already Saturday, November 14th, 2009 here at my home in northern Virginia as I get ready to go to work and sell lots of wine in Washington D.C.

I was happy when John Peters that used to work for LVDH imports brought the LOGAN Pinot Gris to our attention at Cleveland Park Wine and Spirits attention here in Washington D.C. our nation's capitol. We used it for one of our tastings and it did quite well and we sold most of what we had then in the store. That's how we started with LOGAN and this part of Australia that we knew nothing about at the time. Now our new LVDH rep Sam that brought us Peter I am sure will remind us again this week as we head into our Thanksgiving holiday preparations about LOGAN.

I could easily see serving some of the LOGAN wines during our holidays over the next month and will talk to Sam to see what works best now for our customers. Stay-tuned for an update here really soon.

Keep up the excellent work Peter. You are doing a great job " adding to the equation " of wines that are available to us in the world and not just duplicating what already exists. Thanks for that and good luck and we will do our part in the Cleveland Park neighborhood of northwest Washington D.C. to keep LOGAN alive and well here. Cheers, TONY

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tony, It was fun meeting you a few weeks back...but what did you think of my wines??

Cheers,
Peter Logan