Tuesday, October 6, 2009

JOHN L. SULLIVAN Irish Whiskey , Amir Peah Visits Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits Oct. 2nd, 2009 & Tastes With Us

Like so many of the visits to our store they are often unexpected and yet most welcome. We are almost always pleased afterward when we discover the " new " goodies that have been brought for us to taste, whether wine or beer or liquor or liqueurs. We gate to sample many of the products that we sell at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel:202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ) and that's a great thing.



On this late Friday afternoon I believe Amir comes up to me as I stand before the Spanish section in our store stocking the shelves and he introduces himself. I was speaking to Amir Peay ( president, Undisputed Intl. LLC, ( 301) 518-3015 amir@JohnLWhiskey.com www.JohnLWhiskey.com ) The conversation went briskly and I began to put the pieces together that we had ordered a " new " JOHN L. SULLIVAN Irish whiskey that was his. He thanked us for the business and said that he had it with him if we cared to taste it.




All the while I walked Amir over towards our office where Ravi and Mike were and I introduced Amir to Ravi first as he buys the spirits for the store and then to Mike who buys the wines with me.

Turns out as I poured both Mike and myself a sample of this SULLIVAN Irish Whiskey that we had just received a six-bottle case of it a little while earlier today. I liked it quite a bit. It was a classic blend that to me was both a bit fiery and a bit smooth with a bit of burn and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Mike found it spicy and I could see where he was going with this. Amir had never heard this term used and so it was a new one for him. I let Ravi smell mine as he does not drink liquor.




I loved the deep golden color of this SULLIVAN. I could look at it for awhile and simply smell it and be quite content.

All the time we were tasting it Amir was talking about this boxer/fighter Sullivan that the Irish whiskey was named after. He was quite the legend in his time. He'd challenge people to fight him and between rounds he would drink Irish whiskey. There is one fighting match that went 65 rounds was it Amir? Is that the number you quoted? Anyway in between rounds Sullivan would drink the Irish whiskey and still manage to stand on his two legs and fight. Imagine that? I don't think I could ever have done that.




Amir spoke for a long time about how he and his partners discussed what the final blend would be for the JOHN L. SULLIVAN. There was much discussion over this and many trials to arrive at this taste. They want it to be comprable in price to both BUSHMILLS and JAMESON said Amir. We sell it for $22.99 a bottle : this is our special introductory price now and it is available for purchase now at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits.


We've invited Amir to come back to the store and to taste this Irish whiskey with our customers. So stay-tuned for more info on that as well as other updates. In the meantime enjoy these photos that I took. I will probably add three or four more before I am done.




Cheers, TONY

2 comments:

AP said...

Great post. FYI - it was 75 rounds. It would be my pleasure to come in and do a tasting anytime. Cheers, Amir.

Julian said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.