Friday, August 14, 2009

KRIS Veneto Italian Merlot & Pinot Grigio Tasted Both In Avon, North Carolina Then Later In Cleveland Park W/ First A Canadian , Then Kay & Jody 8/09

This was another spontaneous group of tastings : one in Avon, Outer Banks, North Carolina with our neighbors from Montreal, Canada ( the KRIS Merlot 2006 dry red ) and then a week later with both Kay Mallon and Jody Jackman ( the 2008 KRIS Pinot Grigio 2008, $13.49 a bottle ) at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue, N.W. Washington D.C. 20008, Tel: 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine,com ).





The KRIS 2006 Merlot was tasted on two occasions in Avon, Outer Banks, North Carolina. The first was with my niece that enjoys red wine as I do. It was one of the last bottles that we opened one evening and we both enjoyed our glass. It showed quite well and had bright toasted red cherry fruit and just a touch of acidity and tartness - just for accent.

The next day after being at the beach and now out on our deck we saw our Canadian neighbor across the yard. We spoke to one another and then his daughter joined him. My wife and I invited them over to share a glass of wine. I told them that I wanted to donate a bottle of wine for them to enjoy with their chicken meal.

A day-old the 2006 KRIS Merlot was really tasting even better than it was the night before. I liked how it had filled out and became fuller and smoother and richer with less bite and tartness. Mike and I enjoyed a half glass each to be sure it was tasting well a day old? It was. I told Mike that I needed to take a picture of him with the bottle as it was sample given to me to taste and enjoy in Avon. He had no problem with this idea. I told that I thought his wife would enjoy this with the chicken. I also told Mike that I wanted to give him a bottle of white to enjoy. We tasted two dry white Chardonnays from Chile and Argentina and he picked one. This pleased me : sharing. I am all about sharing.

Jody Jackman gave me the bottle of 2006 KRIS Merlot to enjoy at the beach. Thanks Jody : this was a really good choice on your part and excellent for the hot weather at the beach.




A week later Jody shows up with Kay Mallon at our store Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits. They had a bottle of the KRIS 2008 Pinot Grigio ( $13.49 a bottle ) with them and I had a taste and really enjoyed both the freshness and brightness and the balance. Here was a very pleasing taste : medium-to-light-bodied and very enjoyable with the warmer summer weather in Washington D.C. which also includes humidity depending on the day.


This was an unexpected treat and I was happy to try it and take some pictures of the bottle with both Kay and Jody. It was great to share my beach story with Jody and Kay, too. It's funny how the two events coincided pretty close to one another and they were both really serendipitous, pleasing tastings.




The label is quite colorful and inventive with unique personality, too. I like that in both cases : they both have a nice, quirky charm as well as good colors that are inviting to the eye before the taste is equally inviting to one's tongue and palate.




Hope you all enjoy these pictures that I have taken here in August of 2009.




At Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits we do not have the two reds now ( the Merlot and the Pinot Noir/Nero. I am sure that I will be bringing both back soon. We do have the Pinot Grigio which has pretty much been a staple at the store now for several years and the reds have been occasional selections that we offer.



No comments: