Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Jeff Wells Brings Alexander Milligan Of David Milligan Selections July 27th, '09 To Taste FOURNIER Sancerre & More

This was certainly a fun, serendipitous tasting for me on Tuesday, July 28th, 2009 just a couple of day's ago when Jeff Wells from DOPS brought us Alexander G. Milligan the regional manager of DAVID MILLIGAN SELECTIONS, INC. fine wines ( 2 , Holden Court P.O. BOX 750 Sagaponack, NY 110962 ( Tel ) : (631) 537-7126 alexmselects@optonline.net www.davidmilliganselections.com ). I had not had a tasting like this of his company's selections in I don't know when. It was a delight to try such a good selection of French wines from both the Loire Valley and the Rhone. I am especially fong myself of those from the Loire Valley.




I already knew fairly well the DOMAINE FOURNIER Loire Valley wines from Sancerre, Pouilly Fume, Touraine and more. We have carried at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com Tel : 202-363-4265 ) all three, everything I believe except the Sancerre " Grand Cuvee Fournier " which I just tasted. I liked the real subtlety to this gold-labeled Grand Cuvee Sancerre. It has such finesse and finesse and can easily be enjoyed all by itself.




We did not taste this time either of the FOURNIER Pouilly Fumes or the DOMAINE DE PIZAY Beaujolais wines. I would have welcomed tasting the Beaujolais wines, especially the Crus like their Morgan. That will have to wait till the next time. I do remember being In Beaujolais , France and going to visit this chateau many years ago back in the mid eighties with Dan Kravitz I believe? It is a beautiful property.




I was happy to rediscover the excellent Chateauneuf-Du-Pape ( red and white ) from Vignobles Jerome Quiot's DOMAINE DU VIEUX LAZARET. I loved the Chateauneuf-Du-Pape this go-round, followed by the white Chateauneuf-Du-Pape. The white was so elegant, polished and refined : they all were! What sold me on the red Chateauneuf was that it was the purest, brightest, most red berry/cherry-like and I just was drawn to that on the very first, second, third and forth sip. I loved it.




Last I tasted the red Cotes du Rhone and the Gigondas from CHATEAU Du TRIGNON ( I did not try the Rasteau ) and I really enjoyed the red Cotes du Rhone. It also had real polish and elegance and showed very well to my taste buds on this rather hot, muggy day in Washington D.C.'s Cleveland Park neighborhood where our wine shop is located.

The Gigondas was rustic, earthy, pithy and meaty and spicy and showed really well. However, without any food from Lavandou restaurant down at the other end of our block ( and with the hot weather ) it just did not appeal as much to me. It required more than I was willing to give freely of myself and my taste buds at this particular point and time. That's life, c'est la vie, n'est ce pas vrai mes amis?!?





I really enjoy taking some of these more artsy photos from odd angles and through my wine glass with the wine inside it looking at either the people behind the wine or the labels themselves. I like connecting everything together : like the dots. I want to show you all the dots so to speak. I am an artist and this is my approach. This is what I can add to the wine world as well as the world itself. Of course I hope you like it but I do it for so much more than that. I am compelled to do it.


Thanks Jeff and Alexander for stopping by. You really did add to my day this past Tuesday and I appreciate that. I hope to see you again. Come and do an in-store wine-tasting sometime Alexander of your wines. Call or email me and let's set something up?

Cheers. I'm off to the Outer Banks this next week. TONY







It was great to meet Alexander Milligan and to try a selection of his company's excellent wines a couple of days ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a great time viewing those cute photos and I am glad that you did enjoy your selves driking wines huh?I hope I could also try the red Cotes du Rhone..I do love wines.!You do have a good blog.Nice post


restaurant wells me