Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sara Manucy Of SOKOL BLOSSER, Oregon Visits Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits 1st Time Late May, 2009 With Chrissy /Tastes New Vintage " M "/ Pinot Noir



I must say that though I really was intrigued by the " M " red from Oregon that I loved even more the Pinot Noir pictured here below in my glass.

I told Sara after meeting her that I not only knew SOKOL BLOSSER but that I also knew it was one of Oregon's very first and that it was both excellent from the get-go and that after many years now it had passed brilliantly the test of time. It was a pleasure for me to revisit this excellent Oregon winery and to see/taste first-hand what was " new and exciting " there.



Look at the color of that Pinot Noir in the glass over : it's gorgeous and so vibrant ; shimmering and liquid and reflective, warming and intimate and intense all in one! I love it!



When I saw the color of Sara's shoes and the label of the " evolution " white blend I could not resist taking the picture. I told Sara I was doing it and I think by this time she was resigned or at least accustomed to my artsy ways. Do you approve Sara : is it a good match/contrast?!?



I think it's important to show the wine bottles and their labels together so that you can enlarge them and hopefully see both vintage and full name as memories often fade quickly into the sunsets of our daily memory. I also like showing the color of the wine next to the wine bottle itself as the bottle often masks it and so you never know how golden or clear, how dense and opaque and ruby or garnet or light the colors really are.



I like coming up with unique angles and sometimes they work better than others. In these where I point the camera up towards the empty wine glass, the bottle of wine and the person pouring I am trying to capture all three in a visible label, the color of the wine being poured ( as it splashes or not into the glass ) and a part of the person pouring it. As I said, some pictures are better than others as I have no way of knowing what I will capture as I cannot see the screen. It's serendipitous and wildly fun : the results that is.

I argue for the right to keep the artsy photos like this one because it does capture a liquid, split-second point-of-view as the action is occurring. I hope you like it, too.

Of course I never mean to give offense here. These photos are meant as the highest form of flattery that I as an artist can give as I find my subjects here beautiful, the wine and it's color and flavors fascinating : and the " eye " of the camera both magical and thoroughly unpredictable in any exact manner. There are simply too many factors of the split-second that come into play between light and reflection and motion and even sound that can change the image completely.



I love the scroll of that " M " : it really speaks to me : of old and of new and of a great balance and harmony of the two. I also love this particular color of red : it's warm and inviting and reaches out immediately to me : first to my eyes and then to my spirit and soul and later mind ...



I guess that Chrissy you did not warm Sara adequately about my propensity to take many pictures " fast and furious " as I speak and question, taste and comment and motion for this and for that to happen. I ask people like Sara and Chrissy to look at the pictures I have taken, to work with me to take others and to capture as many candid moments as I possibly can.

Sara was amused and a bit caught of-guard as she realized that I was taking many pictures of her here. She would not really look directly at me as I snapped away capturing her pouring the wines or of her seen through the wine glass filled with whatever wine she had just poured for me and that I was tasting/evaluating/enjoying/coming-to-know-better ...



I love those earrings of yours Sara : the gold in them really calls out to my artistic temperament and eye. I could not resist getting this close-up and I hope you like it. I can't remember what red I had here but I believe that it may have been the " M "?



Funny , Sara : in this picture above as you are pouring the " M " red for me it looks as if you are looking down at the camer trying to figure out what it may be in the split-second catching?



I think I got a great picture of both the wine in the glass and Sara through it ? I like the way I quickly framed it in a split-second of time. I was partly lucky as it stayed pretty much as I had framed it as it always takes a part of a second for the picture to snap after I push the button.





Look at Chrissy's expression of amusement through the wine glass in this picture above. I like it Chrissy, do you? Chrissy has done a really good job now over the last few months bringing us winemakers / owners and resp like Sara. Thank you Chrissy. I / we will miss you as you now devote more of your time doing the same for the restaurants instead of the retail stores. Come see us anytime : you are always welcome.

I love this picture below of you Sara pouring the SOKOL BLOSSER Pinot Noir for me : look at the mesmerizing / warming / inviting color of this red : how can anyone resist it's charms ?!?



I think that Chrissy was really enjoying this very quick/ fast-paced interchange of actions and motions between Sara and me as I tasted and snapped away. There was hardly any time to catch our breaths and yet I think it was a good tasting.

I told Sara about how we invite people like herself and owners and winemakers to come and taste at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel : 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine www.clevelandparkwine.com ) when they return on their next visit to Washington D.C.



Sara , thanks for your recent email to me. It will be great to have you come to the store to taste with our customers on your next visit. We've done really well with the " evolution " and I look forward to bring the " M " soon to the store.

In this picture that I took from below of the Pinot Noir in the glass I capture Sara looking at me intently : probably trying to follow my train-of-quick-liquid-out there thoughts! I also love the thin rim of garnet red of the Pinot at the very edge of the glass that is closest to the light in our store. Nice.



We spoke about music and the Beatles and their songs. Did I mention the song " Revolution "? I know that I mentioned the song " Number 9 " on the White album. I am sure that there is a direct link between it and the name of " Evolution # 9 " on this Oregon white blend that is so appealing and refreshing.



It was great to finish with the Pinot Noir and to remember back into the 1980's when I began selling the first bottles of SOKOL BLOSSER Pinot Noir. How many different Pinot were there : three or four? I think that there were four.




Sara , you speak a lot with your hands, do you know that?

I like this picture of you Chrissy : you have a really nice smile here.



It was to meet you Sara and to taste the " new " M red of SOKOL BLOSSER ( 843-298-4998 sara@sokolblosser.com ) here at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits in late May, 2009.

Chrissy Carpenter, thanks for bringing Sara by.

I just learned now from your email Sara that we have a common friend in Jennifer Horsley ( that used to work until recently for CLOS DU VAL ). Jennifer is the best and I look forward to seeing what she will do next. I hope it will bring her back to our store as well.

Enjoy these pictures that I took of Chrissy and Sara. Cheers, and thanks again Chrissy and Sara ... A bientot j'espere ... TONY

No comments: