Friday, May 8, 2009

Steven W. Westby ( Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 , At Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ), Winemaker Of WITNESS TREE VINEYARD, Willamette, Oregon Here May, 2009

It was great to get winemaker Steven W. Westby here from WITNESS TREE VINEYARD ( 7111 Spring Valley Road N.W. , Salem, Oregon 97304 (503) 585-7874 Fax : (503) 362-9765 www.witnesstreevineyard.com ) here to Cleveland Park Wines& Spirits ( Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 ) to taste his wines with us.

I liked them all but was most impressed with the 2006 Pinot Blanc that was so much more flavorful than a Pinot Blanc and reminded me much more of a Pinot Gris. We will have to buy some as it had a real French cross between both a Burgundy ans a wine from Alsace. I would love it with a meal as it was slow to unwind in my glass and give-up/reveal so many of its layers of distinct mineral and citrus flavors.

I liked very much the dry Riesling as well. I knew nothing of these first two wines : it was my first time tasting or at least really focusing on them. I could see selling both and will talk to Chrissy Carlenter my local Washington Wholesalers rep about them.

I already had the Pinot Noir here ( the regular bottling, the 2007 Willamette Valley, $34.99 ) but had not tasted the reserve bottling in quite some time. I am happy to have them here in the store and will add some of the whites, too : certainly the Pinot Blanc really soon.

We've had Bryce the former winemaker that sadly has passed away a year or so ago. Steven worked with Bryce and teared-up at the mention of Bryce and his wife that has stopped making their own BRYCE wines now. They both came to see me here on separate occasions back in 2004 when Bryce was still able to walk. You will see Steven holding both his pictures as well as those of his wife on their past visits here.

Steven talks with his hands constantly so I had to take lots of pictures of his hands in motion. I cut his head or part of it off often when I took these pictures. I think they are expressive anyway and so have included them as they tell Steven's story : his passion and excitement when he talks about these wines that he has made at WITNESS TREE VINEYARD. He's been there for fourteen years and I am sure has many stories to tell.

Steven wrote in our guest book : " Hey Tony - A great visit! Always good to start the day laughing ! " All the best, Steven.

We sure did laugh a whole lot as we told stories and traded anecdotes about wine and music and life, Oregon, Witness Tree, etcetera. It was a grand visit and Steven signed the bottles of 2007 Pinot Noir that we had here in the store. We still have a couple signed by him for gifts. Cheers and thanks Steven and Chrissy for your visit. I will fill in more of the technical info about vintages and prices shortly. In the meantime I want to post this now, Thursday, May 14th, 2009 before any more time lapses. Enjoy these many pictures.

This post is for both you Steven and for Bryce and his wide that I enjoyed meeting so much back in 2004. Come see me again soon Steven and let's have you do an in-store wine-tasting here on your next visit to Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel : 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ). Keep talking with those hands Steven! TONY





















No comments: