Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Peter Yealands, Owner Of YEALANDS Vineyards, New Zealand Visits Cleveland Park Tuesday, May 19th, 2009 With Alfredo Bartholomaus, Pres. Of Billington












It was a brief visit with Peter and Alfredo. I got a call from Alfredo as I arrived saying he had a special surprise for me today. he told me what it was and I said : " Sure! Come On ! " Turns out that this is Peter's only visit this trip to a wine store ( ours, I'm honored and pleased as we are selling well already Peter's wines here in Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits at 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel : 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ).

I have the Sauvignon Blanc 2008 , Marlborough, $11.99 here in the store now and so Peter was able to sign some of those bottles for me for you all. The last time that Pater came to the U.S was twenty years ago! He came with his wife. These last twenty years he's been busy as a sculptor sculpting the New Zealand land like he has at YEALANDS Vineyard. He asked me if I knew of the New Zealand lamb? I responded that everyone knew of New Zealand lamb : it was/is famous. He said : " No, the miniature lambs? : Did I know of them? " No " , I responded, I had never heard of them.

Peter went on quickly to tell me about his vineyard and how big it was, that it needed to be kept in check : that miniature lambs are too small to eat the grapes but they can keep the grasses and the weeds and flowers in check. Sounds brilliant to me Peter, really it does. Then Peter asked me about another animal and did I know it? I got distracted and had to help a customer and now I cannot remember which animal you mentioned Peter. Which animal was it and what were you going to tell me about it?

Peter mentioned repeatedly the zero-carbon factor in his wines and was telling me the story about how his vineyard was the first to do this : and that other Kiwi vineyards are now on board with it, too. Our conversation was cut short and I wish that I had been outside of the store where we could really have talked in peace and where I could have concentrated more fully. That will have to wait till another time Peter.

I did two sketches in black ink - portraits of Peter and gave them both to him. He told me that no one had ever drawn him yet. He smiled and seemed pleased that I was doing so quickly. It was my pleasure Peter. I was inspired by your talk of your wife and her artistic bent/interest. I can't remember exactly what you told me about your wife Peter but it definitely got my attention. Being an artist and a painter/drawer/sketcher all these things perk up my ears almost immediately.

Everything Peter does at YEALANDS ( along with his team ) is " carbon-free- certified ( he's hired one man who's sole job is to monitor that ), as well as sustainable farming/living and biodynamic. You can't go any greener than Peter is going at YEALANDS! Cheers and kudos to you Peter and your fine staff for all your fine efforts as well as fine wines. We are happy to support them here in our nation's capitol.

Come again soon and let's talk more wine and art and all things good, pleasing, memorable and striking. I have the feeling from our short visit that we would get along well. I also got the feeling that you might consider taking me around yourself personally to show me New Zealand. I'd like that : I'm trying to find a way to come next year.

Take care, and keep working on those Sauvignon Blancs, Pinot Noirs, Rieslings and Pinot Gris and whatever else. Alfredo told me that your goal was to have New Zealand wines available and affordable to go any table anywhere around the world. That's a lofty, grand goal. We'll help you here in Washington D.C. Cheers, TONY

Enjoy these photos of Peter's visit here earlier today, cheers, TONY

No comments: