Sunday, April 19, 2009

Marcus, Thilbee, Philip, John & Me At DE MEYE WEd. March 18th, 2009 In The Dark & Out In Shades Of Pinks, Roses,Reds & Silvers !


This story or series of images is all about atmosphere and fun contrasts as my new camera continues to insist on doing color variations in dark, whites, grays and silvers and pinks to dark reds. It's an interesting palate assortment. Yet, since we are tasting red wine here it works pretty well for that if not for anything else. It also works for the oak barrels that are also stained in deep reds, as well as the boxes ( new DE MEYE boxes that must have a fair amount of red in them ? Or is this a tromp l'oie that we have here? Marcus, Thildee and Philip, please help me out here?!

I got one of their four or five dogs back at the last wall in the cellar between it and the wall sniffing around : that came out pretty well. I also like the shot of winemaker Marcus tasting whatever red that he had just poured. You can see the plastic white pitcher that he had poured into to offer us each some of whatever red this is : Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, ... I don't remember and I did not take a picture of the barrel or the sign saying what it was. And because I was so busy taking pictures as I framed one after the other I don't know. John, you took notes all the time : which red were we all enjoying here deep inside and away from the sun and the beautiful day this Wednesday March 18th, 2009 ?

Thildee, what were you thinking there as you seemed to stare off into space as Marcus poured wine from the plastic pitcher into our glasses? Also, what was the glass saying to you as you listened to it in this last picture posted here? Was it singing to you the Barbra Streisand song that I later played for you ( as one of the most famous DE MEYE red wine blends is called " Truitina " ) called " In Truitina " ? I'm glad that I had that for you to listen on my i-pod that I treasure that my son gave to me. He downloaded all my eight hundred songs or so for me to listen and share anyplace/anytime.

Who sang that song : " Bell Bottom Blues "? Was it Eric Clapton? I like those bell bottom white pants in that one image of Thildee. I'm probably not the first to tell you : but it's a great look for you. I hope you don't find me too braizen for saying so : just an artist appreciating the beauty all around him.

I also like the pictures I had where I must have moved the camera and the image moved with me : and how there are lines and squiggles of light and color that look like glass and double-triple-imaged people. Fun. I also like the picture I took deep in the cellar looking at everyone before me with the light of day beyond them. It gives a great silhouette in shades of different darks as well as a glow of the light ( white here ) outside.

What do you all think? Do these pictures tell a story of the moment as well as on winery/cellar moment that is vivid, alive and captivating? I do hope so. Others should visit and experience this. Harvest time was the best for this, too as the winery was alive, throbbing and constantly active to keep up with the frantic, mad, rush-to-the-finish of fermenting mad, insane, explosive grapes, their skins, juices and whatever else.

We pretty much tried everything that Marcus had there which include others I have not already mentioned. I will fill in more gaps as I confer with my notes at work and with John Morrison later.

I was thrilled with the tasting and the wines. Here we started tasting things that were still very much different grapes' juices fermenting. We also tasted from the stainless steel tanks as well as from many barrels. Marcus was eager to oblige us as we asked him questions whether or not he had any Petit Verdot, Malbec, Zinfandel, Cabernet Franc and just about any other grapes like Grenache or Cinsault or Mourvedre, etcetera. Whatever he had and that was easily available to taste he obliged us. Thanks Marcus.

As I said I liked what I was tasting and really enjoyed the commitment and dedication that Marcus had to his craft here. He did accompany us out into the official tasting room and offices and gave us a mini tasting of some of his very best in bottle. That was grand. But because it was still harvest and wine-making time he could not join Philip, Thildee, John and me at lunch later in Stellenbosch. We missed you Marcus. I also missed not meeting your wife the artist that did many of the paintings there in the tasting room and gallery immediately to the side.

Thanks guys for this fun peek into your very special, wonderful world. Cheers, TONY











No comments: