Saturday, April 25, 2009

Dan Vanhoozer Of SOUTHAMPTON Publick House New York Beer Tasting Friday, April 24th, 2009,






This past Friday evening, April 24th, 2009 from 5-8 PM we had our local beer rep Dan Vanhoozer for the SOUTHAMPTON Publick House beers pouring three ( the " Double White ", the " Altbier " and the " India Pale Ale " ) at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008, Tel : 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ). It was our first tasting of the SOUTHAMPTON PUBLICK HOUSE beers.

I got to taste them towards the very end of the tasting. I had met Dan earlier as he was setting up the tasting and I promised that I would return later to taste them. We also had a lively wine-tasting going on at the same time with both Antonio Cabibi and Malcolm of the International Cellars import company. Antonio is our rep and he came until 5 PM when he had to leave to go pour wines for a charity. Malcolm was nice enough to step-in for him. Thank you both. It was fun to have both tastings going on simultaneously.

I tried all three beers and liked them all but especially liked the " Altbier " that I had never had before. I had never heard of it either : keep in mind, however, that I buy the wines for Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits and not the beer. Santos Rivera is our gentleman that buys the beer for our store and who set the tasting up with Dan.

I loved the more complex, more hearty and firm, more muscular taste of the " Altbier ". It really spoke to me volumes on that Saturday where our temperatures were in the high eighties or even low nineties! I also liked the " Double White " which was milder and more elegant. I could have drunk the most of the one by itself on a hot day and had the " Altbier " with my meal later. I found the " India Pale Ale " just to biting and strong for me : with more edge and sharpness of flavors and style. Again, with the right food I would have really liked it : just not standing around our store at 7 PM when I was tired and ready to go home. Setting is everything.

It's great to have them at Cleveland Park now in our nation's capitol. Thanks Dan, come again soon. Cheers, TONY

No comments: