Thursday, February 5, 2009

Chrissy Carpenter / Tim Gural Taste At Cleveland Park Three Oregon Pinot Noirs : RAPTOR RIDGE, WITNESS TREE & BEAUX FRERES( Willamette Valley)


     Chrissy and Tim Gural, both of Washington Wholesalers visit us ( tim@charmer-sunbelt.com / chrissycarpenter@charmer-sunbelt.co ) last week February 4th, 2009 I believe with samples of mostly Oregon Pinot Noirs ( though they did slip a white or two in from California, I believe ? ) :  1 ) 2007 RAPTOR RIDGE, Pinot Noir from the Willamette Valley, Oregon, $34.99 ,  2) 2006 WITNESS TREE Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, Oregon, $34.99 and he   3 )  2006 BEAUX FRERES Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, Oregon, $59.99. 

     I liked very much the first two, enjoyed the more elegant, lighter-style ( more bright toasty, berry, cherry red flavors of the RAPTOR RIDGE  ; but then really enjoyed the denser, deeper colored/extracted WITNESS TREE 2006 where I felt there were more highs and lows to it. I also liked the fact that I felt more " kindled - aroused, charged " by the WITNESS TREE. I could see myself stretching out in it more and ultimately being more challenged by it.  We will buy some of both as they were both excellent.

     I also enjoyed taking pictures of these wines, their colors and the bottles associated with each one. I enjoyed photographing both Chrissy and Tim through the wine glass which has become my  signature picture.

     By the time I tasted the BEAUX FRERES I was predisposed to want and expect more from it and than the other two will all the old hype of Robert Parker, Junior's name being attached to it. Sadly, I want it wanting on many levels. It was the least interesting for me : at least at this particular stage in it's life. I found it very smooth but not all that interesting, not very energized and perhaps not all that focused. I will not buy that for the store : not at that price. I am glad that Tim and Chrissy let me try it. Maybe the next vintage will do more for me than this 2006. We'll see, I'm open to that, too.

     WE will have the wines here at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue, N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 ,  sales@clevelandparkwine.com  www.clevelandparkwine.com  Tel : 202-363-4265 ) in  March, 2009. Chrissy and I will set a delivery date in a week's time.

     In the meantime I also tasted with Chrissy three delicious HALL wines : the 2007 Sauvignon Blanc, the 2005 Napa Valley Merlot and the 2005 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon ( www.hallwines.com ). I loved them all because of their balance, finesse, style, class, focus, and even breed. The winemaker knows his craft well and we will buy some of both the Sauvignon Blanc 2007 and the Merlot 2005. We may even do a HALL CA. wine tasting here in the near future with Chrissy. More about that soon.

     It's Friday, February 6th, 2009 at 3:12 PM as I type and proof/send this blog. Hope you enjoy the pictures and text. For more technical information you may contact either Tim Gural or at Chrissy Carpenter at their email addresses.

     Cheers,  TONY










No comments: