Saturday, December 6, 2008

Paul Robert Of DEEP CREEK , Maryland Winery / Uses Virginia Grapes, Too - Excellent Unfiltered Cabernet Francs! In-Store Novemeber 2008 Tasting













Here are some pictures that I took of owner/ winemaker Paul Robert of DEEP CREEK vineyard that is in Maryland but uses Virginia grapes. When I asked him about this he responded immediately that it made no difference, that it was the same climate and soil and that it was not far away. I had asked him why he used such an unheard of grape for his white wines called Traminette?

This elicited an immediate response of an almost self-talk/lecture/exploration of local wine making. I wish that I had had time to continue this with Paul because I would have learned a lot then and there and been happier for it. As it was we were at the Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 2008 Tel : 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ) annual American Holiday 2008 Wine-Tasting featuring wines made in the United States with five being local : DEEP CREEK Vineyard with owner/winemaker Paul Robert, of the Virginia STONE MOUNTAIN Vineyard with owner/winemaker Chris Breiner, with owner Carol of the Maryland SUGARLOAF MOUNTAIN Winery, with DJ assiostant winemaker of the Virginia PEARMUND Vineyard and with Brad McCarthy the owner/winemaker of the Virginia BRADFORD WINES ( used to be till just recently the winemaker and part-owner of BLENHEIM Vineyards ).

DJ who had overheard my comment to Paul about the white indigenous grape Traminette immediately chimed with a response that they used some at PEARMUND. Oh well, this old boy has still got lots to learn, haven't I, and a good thing, too!

This American winetasting with these five local winemakers/ owners was up-close and personal and " green " of course. All good things. I'm happy to recommend local whenever I can. I just hate to give all the business to California, Washington State and Oregon by default because I am not willing to stick my head on the chopping block. I do, stick it on the block, each and every time that I recommend local and East Coast wines and am happy to say I still very much have my head attached to my neck!

It would be different if people returned complaining and wanting their money back after each sale. That simply does not happen at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits. They might complain that the wine prices are a bit higher than they would like but they often select another bottle from the region to try. And I don't hear comments from them that their friends complained about the local wines that they served.

Paul Robert is an interesting man. He's now driven from his home/vineyard in Maryland twice to be a part of our Holiday American tastings and his wines have sold steadily each time. I have done more with his Cabernet Franc reds ( two ) than I have with his " White Linen " blend of Vidal, Chardonnay, Seyval and Traminette is it?!? It's quite unique, quite complex, layered and creamy water bed-comfort-on-palate taste that intrigues and excites one. I like it, I smile each time I take a sip and let it linger as I swallow in steps to prolong the sensation on my tongue. I'm always pleasured with this liquid local " White Linen ". Paul smiled broadly as I described my delight. He seconded/thirded/fourthed this sentiment to the customers gathered around listening raptly to each and every syllable of ours. This was a joyous moment and Paul and I revelled in it - a bond created, largely unspoken but real though seemingly fleeting.

Paul also has a blueberry sweet wine that I sell. I have four of his wines now including the " 2006 Watershed Red " Cabernet Franc blend " (, $16.49 , in a Bordeaux bottle ) as well as the less-expensive version Artisan Red 2006 ( $11.99 in a burgundy bottle and great value ) , the 2007 " White Linen Reserve " white-blend ( $13.49 ) and the Blueberry sweet wine.

I'm a huge French Loire Valley Cabernet Franc fan. I love the Chinons, Bourgeuils and Saumur- Champigny's of the world! So, having said this where do Paul's wines fit into this for Me? They are good representations and great values. Because he blends them it makes them also a bit different. But, like I said I am thrilled to have honest, good value regional wines to recommend that don't pretend to be other than they are. In this case they are wines that will add and enhance both the meal at hand and the moment of gathered friends and family. They would all, including the Linens White and the Blueberry wine be really good additions to any table this holiday season whether locally, somewhere else in this country or overseas, too! Take a bottle and offer it as a gift when you are invited. It will bring good conversation and good cheer.

Paul doesn't filter his wines! He doesn't even own a filtering machine he tells me. So, his wines leave more of the grape in them and thus more honest flavor and character one would both expect and hope. Try them and you will see that both are true here in Paul's case. Nice.

Oh, and if you look at Paul's wines they are all sealed with a thin layer of red wax and they stand out on a shelf and display because of that. It's a nice touch which I like and harks back to the days of olde. What do you think? Do you think it makes the bottle look less finished or do you think that it adds something refreshing from all the others?

I have carried others and probably will again. These four are in stock now at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits. Call Mike Martin or me ( Tony Quinn ) at 202-363-4265 for an update or for ordering any of the others of Paul's wines.. It's Sunday morning at home here in northern Virginia on a really cold morning with a light dusting of snow still on the ground from last night.

I had never heard of DEEP CREEK until an East Coast rep that sells excellent Austrian and Italian wines mentioned it to me. It was just like that, out-of-the-blue to a comment I made about our upcoming American Holiday American wine tasting last 2007. He was in the store tasting some of his company's " new " releases with me and he mentioned discovering Paul's wines I guess through a Bacchus Imports tasting. Both sell their wines through Bacchus Imports.

So, I called Sal and Peter at Bacchus immediately and asked about DEEP CREEK and my desire to talk with them and arrange for a tasting. The rest is history. Paul responded pretty much immediately and we quickly together got the ball rolling! It's been a good relationship so far. I'm delighted to have such good-value-tasting local wines to sell at in Cleveland Park! Thanks Sal, Peter and Paul Robert. Oh, and the rep that started it all off and who's name escapes me just now. I will include them soon , however. It's a wine-community effort and I appreciate all the help that I can get to run a better wine shop experience/service for our customers.

As you can see I have taken a lot of pictures of Paul's hands here. I felt that they were very expressive ; that he talked a great deal through them. He did, too. Exactly what he said is up for interpretation by each and everyone of us. For me they showed/ reflected his energy, enthusiasm and passion for his dream and what he is doing with his local wines. He comes alive at these moments, the hands are like the light bulbs that get turned-on and they are 100+ watt bulbs, too. He awaits these moments to surge forth, out and explode onto the landscape around him like a bunch of wondrous fireworks!

Look at the picture of him all by himself as if he were collecting himself. No smile, just a moment on " pause ". We all have moments like these. But then an eager customer comes around to taste and it's back to turning back on as he shares his enthusiasm, passion and information with others like me.

Look at his hands, too. They are still showing that blackness of the Norton grapes that he had picked and worked with a full week before this tasting! I like that. He was quite descriptive about the Norton grape that moment. I'd like to hear more. It's only 10% or so that he uses with his two Cab Francs and yet when I mentioned these wines to Dave McKintyre his response was that it was hard from him to get past the Norton in them. I don't find them a distraction myself.

You can see in these photos all the local winemakers/owners. You can also see that we were all having a pretty wonderful time, big smiles all around. That's the ides, have fun, learn something too and include serendipitous moments as well that change and add accent to our lives usually in good/great ways.

Happy Holidays to one and to all! I'm excited about posting this now to share with you all. I'm trying to post something each day and it is tough with the Holiday season upon us and finding moments in this busy time to work on the blog. I know I can do it anyway. Focus, share, focus, share some more. Cheers, TONY

No comments: