Friday, December 12, 2008

Manuel F. Rojas , Pres. Of La Isla Corp. ( Chile's ALMA & DOS PASO Wines ) At Soriso With Me In November, 2008 For Lunch With Sofia Loren There, Too

















I have known Manuel Rojas now for a number of years. We met when he came to the store to sell us his ALMA and DOS PASOS Chilean wines. I had never seen them before but was curious to find out more. I tasted them and liked them and decided to give Manuel an initial first order. The wines came to the store shortly after and sold well and so the rest is now history!

Manuel it turns out was an actor in his youth. He could not make enough at it so he quit but not before he acted in two Anthony Quinn movies. With my name being the same you can imagine my surprise and curiosity! I need to see those two films now. It will be great whenever I do. Manuel, do you have copies of them for me to see? I'll return them I promise.

Manuel also helped me organize our first " Chilean Monthly-BIG THEME " store wine tasting two years ago. We held it in September 2006 and Manuel got Mariano Fernandes the Chilean ambassador ( and Rolando Ortega - Economic adviser ) to come by during the tasting and I will never forget that. Thanks Manuel. I have the photos from that tasting which I still need to download and write about on this blog site. I will have to do it really soon now that I am including this blog about you Manuel.

Manuel and I also have developed a routine that I must say I like very much. Each time Manuel comes to see me I go and have lunch with him over at Soriso restaurant owned by Pietro and his wife and where their son also works. I know all three but I know Pietro best because he also comes by Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 2008 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com Tel : 202-363-4265 ) to talk, buy an occasional bottle or two and check out what's " new " with us and our selection of Italian wines.

We have the further connection Pietro and me that a number of our customers ( Bob, Bill, Andrea, Susan just to name a few ) dine frequently there. I often see them when I am invited there by friends and other wine suppliers like Gastone Zempieri.

These customers ( Bill and Bob ) also take Pietro wines to share with Pietro and his wife and son that they buy from me. So we stay in touch vicariously as well as actually when either of us is in the other's establishment. I like that. We respect one another and our times together are always very rewarding. I loved the time my old friend Lew visiting from Paris, France took me there one evening after I got off work and we enjoyed the whole experience from up above looking down onto the bar area and kitchen and ovens below. Pietro offered us many grappas and I had to give them all to Lew as I was the chauffeur.

Manuel and I have also a great respect and appreciation for one another and I am really happy to know you Manuel. Thanks for your friendship and help over these years.

It was great to have lunch with you Manuel the other day at Soriso. I think I got some nice pictures of all of us but I must say that the two of you have you looking very serious! I'll have to take more and show the others I have you where you are often smiling.

I loved the photos I took of Sophia Loren ( I think you'll know which they are ), the man eating spaghetti, and the one with the reflection from across Connecticut Avenue of the store fronts ). I think all these pictures capture some of the magic and warmth of Soriso. Too bad Pietro that your wife was not here this afternoon. It would have been fun to have included pictures of her along with you and your son.

Our waitress shown in the picture at the bar with Pietro's son was great this afternoon, very personable and helpful.

I also have pictures from the past that I took at Soriso when I rushed over to try and get some photographs of Nicole Kidman who was filming there at the metro station. I got there just as she was about to get into her limo and so I never got the photos of her that I wanted! Darn!!! Oh well, it was a great experience there at Soriso anyway and they could not ask me to leave all the movie people in charge of keeping the sidewalks clear!

In looking one last time at these photos of you Manuel I am pleased with them. Though serious they really show character and concentration. I love the way both your two hands grasped together just under your head are almost sculptural : sculptures in flesh, bone and blood - alive, intense, piercing and attentive almost as if asking something?!? Yes, that we interact with you and share a moment, a glass of wine, a slice of the excellent Soriso thin-crusted piazza like the one with pepperoni, avocado, mushrooms and fine cheeses. We've returned for that one Manuel, you and I now many times. Your wife loves it, too.

I need to buy some wine from you Manuel. I owe you an order. Call me and let's put an order together soon. Happy Holidays to you and your wife and family Manuel ; and to all my customers, friends and family as well.

It's Monday, December 14th, 2008 at 2:29 PM here in Virginia where I live as I finally finish typing this new blog entry.

For more info on Manuel and his excellent selection of Chilean wines go to : 36843 Paxson Road P.O. Box 2430 Purecellville, Virginia 20124 Tel : 540-338-8920 Fax: 540-338-8923 petroisla@aol.com.

Cheers, TONY

No comments: