Tuesday, December 23, 2008

JAMESON, LA COUTALE, MERCOURI Greek, SALVARD Cheverny Loire Valley White, LA BASTIDA Spanish Rioja Friday Dec. 12th, 2008 In-Store Tasting 5-8 PM


     It was great to have Jody Jackman of Winebow Imports tasting here fabulous dry reds and whites alongside the young redhead lady tasting the JAMESON Irish whisky ( ON SALE at $24.99 ). They both did a great job this Friday evening at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008, sales@clevelandparkwine.com  www.clevelandparkwine.com ). 

     Jody Jackman tasted the DOMAINE MERCOURI Vin de Pays des Letrinon 2005, $27.49,  ( western  Peloponnese Greece, ) made primarily from the Refosco variety also found in Friuli, Italy. We do sell the Di LENARDO Refosco 2007 red indigenous dry wine, $11.99 here and have it currently if you would all like to compare it with this wonderful MERCOURI.  I love it. It is one of my very favorite Greek reds, reminding me of really good Cotes du Rhone French wine : medium-bodied, quite complex and great terroir, mineral and elegant complexity that is always in -check yet quite surprising anyway! For more technical information go to : ATHENEE 12 Evans Street, Hempstead, NY, 11550.

     We also tasted the  2006 CLOS LA  COUTALE Malbec from France this evening along with the Spanish Rioja , red, from LA BASTIDA that is so smooth and silky and polished, bright and easy to enjoy anytime. The 2006 CLOS  LA COUTALE Malbec needs more of a meal with it's more spicy, earthy. pungent and crisper delineations that just shout -out for food every few seconds or so.

     I love the French and have always sold their wines heartily. However, I do believe strongly that they have left a lot of their sales disappear because they do not promote properly / as well as label properly their wines. No one knows most of the time for example that the Cahors wines are made in large part or all from the Malbec grape. Customers would be more inclined to buy the Cahors if they knew this. I tell them all the time. I have made it a personal mission to do this, to help promote Cahors again and it does feel great to get people somewhat back in the loop! Go Cahors ! Go somewhat now tamed " black wine " of Cahors : you rock!

     The Cheverny Loire Valley called " Delaille " DOMAINE DU SALVARD  from the DOMAINE EARL DELAILLE ( viticulteurs f41120 Fougeres sur Bievre )white 2007 Sauvignon Blanc , $15.49 was really bright and crisp and refreshing. It comes from Kermit Lynch selections and was showing at it's optimum this Friday evening with Jody. I do not think it will get much better. It was a treat to drink, really.

     For more technical info on the JAMESON go to :  the Bow Street Distillery, Dublin 7, Ireland jamesonwhiskey.com. JAMESON is triple-distilled.

     It's Saturday, December 27th, 2008 at 12:04 PM as I type and proof this blog before posting it. It's also my birthday and I'm looking forward to enjoying some bubbly today, perhaps lots. More about that in a later blog.

     I want to thank all our suppliers, reps and wholesalers, etcetera along with all the family members,owners of wineries and winemakers that have made all this possible for my blog as well as for the success of Cleveland Park Wines $ Spirits. We / I could not have done it without your contributions. These blogs are in a sense about shedding light on all the marvelous interactions made possible here and my way of giving thanks and showing appreciation as well. On this my birthday I am truly grateful, humble and honored for the wonderful life so far that I have experienced, sipped, tasted, eaten, absorbed in every pore, every taste bud, grabbed, seized, help, kissed, hugged ... you get the picture. Merci, gracias, thanks mille fois, beaucoup, lots, mucho ... 

     It's a gray, warmer-than-usual-day here in our nation's capitol and so I wore the black t-shirt that I was given for Christmas by my family that I like and which says : " You're a sly one Mr. Grinch ". Gotta love it. Cheers and Happy New Year 2008 to All of Us. We welcome it after all these trying times.   Here's to us all, I raise my glass and toast us all.   TONY

     



     









1 comment:

Joe Manekin said...

Happy Belated b-day, Tony! I've got one coming up as well, this weekend in fact. It's tough having a birthday in the midst of the holiday season, as if there weren't enough to celebrate already.

I really like the Labastida Riojas. Nice, sort of plump Alavesa style, modern-ish but with enough acidity and typical Rioja flavors to keep them honest. As for the single malts, I must say I've really indulged this year (and have missed out on these delicious spirits in past years - no longer the case). The collection in my cabinet is growing....