Thursday, December 18, 2008

Argentina Winemaker Stefano Gandolini ( 4/23/08) Of DONA PAULA, Lujan de Cuyo, Argentina Here With Olivier Lotterie of Vineyard Brands



     It was great to have  winemaker Stefano Gandolini  ( of DONA PAULA, Lujan de Cuyo, Argentina here April 23rd, 2008 with our Vineyard Brands French rep. Olivier Lotterie  in 2008 to taste us his " new " releases. I really loved both the Sauvignon Blanc " Los Cardos ", $9.99 and the Cabernet Sauvignon " Los Cardos " 2006, $9.99 and for around $10 a bottle I want to get them here now ASAP!

      They had nine wines on their list and I believe that I tasted most of them if not all. I preferred the Sauvignon Blanc and it's freshness and lightness to the more richly-textured, fuller-tasting Chardonnay : but that is my taste. Both are really well-balanced wines geared to please those that like that particular taste and style.

      There was also a Malbec dry rose that I enjoyed quite a bit, the " Los Cardos " that is also $9.99 a bottle. It was the first time that I was tasting it and will think of buying some next year of the current, fresh vintage to sell here at Cleveland Park wines.

     Over the last three or so years we have sold the full assortment of these excellent Argentinean wines of Stefano's. Our customers here at Cleveland Park enjoy the three levels - the " Los Cardos ", the " Estate " and the "Selection de Bodega , $45", $14.99/ categories of price and quality that they produce to ensure that hopefully there is something for everyone. They succeed with some left over and that to me is the sign of really good wine making. I give them high marks and as I have already said pleased to say that their first-tier of inexpensive wines impresses me as much as their most expensive wines.

      In general I  have usually preferred  the Cabernet Sauvignon bottlings more than those of the Malbecs. I simply like the more elegant, polished, less robust style of the Cabernet which I also feel lends itself to more foods. However, having said that vintage also must be considered. I lament the fact that people today start everything by asking for Malbec. They don't know that Argentina made it's reputation in this country years ago ( has it been almost twenty-five years now ? ) on their Cabernet Sauvignon wines. Why should they be any less interesting now?

      Anyway, they don't sell as quickly. That means that I may often be trying a Cabernet with an extra year or two in the bottle than the Malbec: and that makes a big difference on how the wine shows. I also think that many people are rushing to drink the Malbecs when they are still astringent, gutsy, not as ready or balanced to drink. That's just my humble opinion of course and I know this ; so take it for what it is worth - an honest observation on my part.

     





   

















     I should remind myself of this each and every time that I taste to factor that into my first and second impressions as I taste.

     In the case of the " Estate " Malbec it was in fact a 2007 and the " Estate " Cabernet Sauvignon a 2006 : and that does make a real difference in both the two wines developments and how they show immediately when poured into a glass like this when rep and winemaker go around town tasting them side-by-side.

     I look forward to doing more business with Stefano and his excellent DONA PAULA wines. I also look forward to doing more business this 2009 ( it's Friday, January 9th here at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits, 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine..com  Tel: 202-363-4265 ) with Danny Haas and Olivier Lotterie of Vineyard Brands.

     For more technical information go to : www.vineyardbrands.com.

     Cheers, hola, hasta luego et feliz ano 2009 Stefano!   TONY

No comments: