Wednesday, November 19, 2008

LOUIS LATOUR Tastings 2006, 2008 At The D.C. Winebow Offices 2006



















Here are some marvelous pictures capturing the intensity of the moments as they ticked by slowly as we tried one after the other of the LATOUR red and white burgundies one afternoon in the D.C. offices of Winebow Imports with Monsieur Latour himself! He's like the 15th generation or so. I'll have go get back to you on that later.

I've now been to two of these tastings ( perhaps three ) and have enjoyed myself each time though this first time in 2006 was perhaps my favorite. Why? Because simply-stated, it was just me at the table. I got all the attention and was able to speak freely in French the whole time and that just was a treat.

We tasted through the whites and the red burgundies and also the sparkling two white cremants du Bourgogne as well as the one dry rose cremant du Bourgogne of FEVRE-SIMMONET. We also tried their Chablis wines. I must admit that each year I had my favorites.

In 2006 it was the Chablis wines and the red 2005 Marsannay for tremendous value in a red Burgundy that I was able to see for the great value of $15.99 a bottle! I also loved the sparkling cremants du Bourgogne.

In 2008 it was the three cremants du Bourgogne from FEVRE-SIMONNET that stole my heart and I bought some of each.

They recently arrived and I had my excellent ( give her a raise, she merits it, believe me! ) Winebow rep. Jody Jackman pour both the Chardonnay and the dry rose ( both at $21.99 ) and they showed beautifully and throughout this annual " Big-Theme " tasting of sparkling wines - 45 or so - from around the world a number of our customers at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 2008 tel: 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ) mentioned how much they enjoyed it to me. We are pleased to have it in our store now. Come get some and enjoy it for New Year's Eve !!!!

I have so much more to say but I want to get this out at least as far as I have it now in time for people to read and enjoy the pictures of Louis-Fabrice Latour. I will add more of course but at least this is a start.

At the 2006 Winebow tasting I asked Louis-Fabrice which red I simply must purchase if I only purchased one more after the Bourgogne rouge and the Marsannay 2005 ? He answered immediately that I should buy the 2003 Chateau Corton Grancey ( around $50 )which I did and sold it well, too.

Funny, the 2007 Marsannay red was just highly reviewed in the Wine Spectator and a good customer of ours asked us to buy some. I called Jody Jackman and she sent me the last three cases that Winebow currently had in stock ( we already had the Bourgogne rouge for sale ) and I received it and it was gone shortly after. Everyone was happy.

Happy Holidays to everyone this 2008 and may we all enjoy a more fruitful 2009 after this trying last two years of so many uncertainties.

Thanks to all you Winebow folks : Jody, the three Davids, Kay, Patricio ,Ramona, as well as past reps Gastone Zempieri, Nikki and more ... you all have brought a lot to Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits and me as well and for that I thank you all from the bottom of my deep, thirsty palate! Cheers , enjoy, be safe, healthy and may you prosper always , TONY

No comments: