Thursday, November 20, 2008

Importer Peter Weygandt Visits Store '05 To Taste Us On " New " Releases, Tastes Also With Owner Aussie Mary Hamilton of HUGH HAMILTON, McLaren Vale,












     It's always nice to see importer Peter Wegandt of WEYGANDT-METZLER ( Unionville, PA )when he comes down from Pennsylvania to visit D.C. accounts. He's got an incredible portfolio of top-flight / hand-picked small-production, true-to-tradition-and-place-great-terroir French wines among others including Australian wines. He's quite serious and I always have to tone myself a bit down for the extra gravitas that he brings in a measured, thoughtful, soft-spoken-well-spoken-well-thought-through fashion.

     Peter , you have such a nice, soft smile, too. Being as extroverted as I am and seeing you smile at me always makes me wonder what you are thinking ? We share wine as an interest and passion I believe and yet our approaches seem so different. So be it.
      I do enjoy your selections. Perhaps we can grab an impromptu meal and good two-three glasses of wine and let our guards down and see what chips fall. I'd like that, get to know the Peter that I still don't know yet.

    I'm sure I called or put a bug in his ear to come down to D.C. to show me some of his " new " releases. I was running with sales of a southwest French indigenous grape - Gros Manseng - white and wanted more and I'm not sure that Bacchus imports at the time was stocking it any more. Anyway, over the years we've worked with a variety of his excellent wines and I wanted to tap into these wines once again as they are so typically great of whatever terroir they represent.

     Our friend and owner of HUGH HAMILTON wines, Mary Hamilton ( Hugh's daughter ) showed up a bit early before our scheduled wine-tasting here at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits.

    This may have been the first time that I met you Mary. I will have to check my notes. I do believe that we had actually met just before at the dinner in North Arlington Virginia at Mark's Duck House with Nick Stacey of WEST CAPE HOWE winery in Denmark, western Australia. That was quite the evening of your wines combined with Peking Duck ( a personal favorite ) and all the other sides that both Morgan Hartman and Mark ordered for us that evening. I was able to invite my wife and she sat next to Nick Stacey.

     At our tasting later this evening, ( it was in November 2008 sometime I believe, I will add the correct date soon ) however in our store( after Peter Wegandt's visit ) Mary tasted an assortment of her wines which probably included " the Mongrel " red Sangiovese blend as well as the Merlot that I also loved, the Jekyl and Hyde Shiraz, the dry white Viognier and Chardonnay. Again, it's been almost three years! I'm typing this today, Thursday November 20th 2008 ( the official release day of Beaujolais Nouveau 2008 !  I still have not tried any but we will have three or four open tonight : the MANOIR DU CARRA, the LABOUE-TOI, the JOSEPH DROUHIN - all around $15 air-shipped ).

     I will add to this and check my notes in the meantime but want to get these photos out into cyberspace where I hope some of you may get pleasure from them.

     Mary's parents Hugh and Pam were just here this past Saturday pouring their wines ( 4-8 PM on November 15th, 2008 and that was a grand success. ). We love your wines Mary, Hugh and Pam! The " Jim-Jim " red Shiraz and white stainless-steel Chardonnay wines. You guys are the best and truly on a roll. Thanks for all the the support and time you spend here tasting your wines with our Cleveland Park customers and those visiting from out-of-town.

     I remember years ago when our local Country Vintner rep for Aussie wines, Morgan Hartman came and had a bottle of the " Mongrel " red Sangiovese McLaren Vale HUGH HAMILTON red. When I tried it I was hooked, before trying it I was intrigued : and so began the continuing friendship and bond that Morgan started years ago with " the Mongrel ". Thanks Morgan. I also remember the first time that Mary Hamilton tried a twinkie - do you remember that at Mark's Duck House?!? I probably should not have included this but I'm mischievous in a nice way I hope!

     I'm sorry for the grainy quality to all these photographs that do provide ambiance and mystery but not as much clarity that one might want?!? Clarity balanced against mystery and ambiance : where should the three meet?! I'm working to improve all this. It's all a work-in-progress. There's always room for some improvement and some respect and regard for what you already have.

     Happy Thanksgiving to you Peter, Mary, Hugh, Pam , Morgan and your families and to all our great customers that are shopping here and as we help one another get through these difficult/trying times.

     Here are some pictures of Peter and Mary talking and tasting one of his red Rhones I believe. I still have a few half-bottles of Peter's excellent ALBERT MANN Vendanges Tardives 1997 Gewurztraminer " Altenburg ", Wettolsheim, Alsace, France in stock at $34.99 a bottle. I've also included the pictures from Mary's tasting later in the day.

     Cheers,  TONY
     

1 comment:

Karen Akerson said...

Tony: You tell such wonderful stories. I love your one blog on Chat France about your father in the State Department and how you ended up in Paris for a time. Write more about that and how it influenced your current career. Thanks for taking the time to share so much. You make wine come alive for all of us and you make Cleveland Park a special place to live. Thanks also for the specials this week! It is always a treat to have great wine at great prices.