Saturday, November 1, 2008

Giorgio Cichero ( LA SLINA ) & Mauro ( BOCI ) - 5/2/06 - of Piemonte Here Tasting At Cleveland Park Wines With Our Customers














It's always great to have Mauro and Giorgio here tasting their Piemonte wines with our customers. I really loved both the LA SLINA ( Giorgio Cichero 335 1418095 ) Dolcetto Di Ovada, Castelletto D'Orba (we currently have the 2007 at $16.49 ) and the BOCI Antichi Giochi Monferrato rosso from Grazzano, ( we sell the rossa Fracchia 2004 now at $16.49 ).

Both Giorgio and Mauro came to taste their wines with us on Tuesday, May 2nd, 2006 from 5-8 PM with our customers. I had just met them at the annual Michael Downey portfolio tasting in North Arlington, VA. with a group of other winemakers ( Andrea Fossi of FOSSI Chianti, Tuscany: Max DiLenardo of DiLENARDO winery, Friuli, Salvatore of Gragnano red semi-sparkling fame, Naples, and more ). I will include a picture that I took the tear before at the Michael Downey portfolio tasting where Mauro brought his son. Giorgio would not come then. He still had to be talked into coming! I must explain now.

Giorgio is afraid of flying and this might be the first time that he has ever gotten on a plane to fly anywhere! This trip was a HUGE BIG STEP for Giorgio. By the way Mauro and Giorgio are best friends I believe. I was told that Mauro had to constantly try and convince Giorgio to make the trip here to the Washington D.C. metropolitan area.

I remember asking Giorgio pretty much the first chance I got how the flight was?!?! He smiled and told me it was hell!

It was great to have both Giorgio and Mauro together in our store. We tried their " Bianco " LA SLINA white that they made together as well as an assortment of each of their wines. The " Bianco " did really well along with the white Gavi LA SLINA and Giorgio's Dolcetto. From Mauro we had an assortment of his reds including his two sweet Malvasia reds ( Voulet and the other slips my mind now - oh, the Sulin ). They pretty much all sold evenly with both Giorgio and Mauro meeting lots of our customers and signing their bottles pretty much non-stop.

Giorgio is a bit of an Italian Cassanova. His English is not as perfected as Mauro's yet but he has no trouble finding a way to communicate when he wants. He got to charm Pam, Ramona and Gaby among others of our customers. He also got Ramona to write in our guest book these words : " Dolcetto di Ovado is the best wine in the world ". He said this all during the three hours that he tasted it with a beaming smile each and every time that he said it! It would perhaps be easy to agree with such a warm smile and certainty written over every feature of his Italian-sunned face.

I asked Mauro why he never said anything when Giorgio would make this grand pronouncement and Mauro smiled and replied : " I don't mind having the second best wine in the world ". I can see his point.

I will include more about the individual wines shortly. There's lots more to convey but I at least want to get this posted after more than two years. The world needs to know about Giorgio and Mauro and their excellent wines imported by Michael Downey Selections in north Arlington, Virginia.

Here are some of the pictures of our tasting. Pictures are also Shannon Downey and I believe Matt that works for them as well as myself and our customers Pam, Ramona, Gaby and Franceen. Hope you like them and they help to paint a picture of an absolutely special three hours at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Conn. Ave. N.W. Washington D.C. 202-363-4265, sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com call Mike Martin or me ( Tony Quinn ) for orders or more information ).

I am left with Giorgio's smile as I close this blog. What did it really say/express? Here's a man that finally made it onto a plane and got to his destination safely - wow! How was he feeling? What did he think of all this tasting, signing of bottles, etcetera? Was the English a real barrier for him? He seemed pleased. He seemed at ease. I hope that we helped in our small little way.

Anyway, it was a pleasure to have you both here in our store Mauro and Giorgio. Come again anytime. Cheers, TONY

No comments: