Friday, October 3, 2008

Monday Luncheon September 29th , 2008 With Winemaker Bernard Portet of CLOS DU VAL Winery, Napa, CA.












































     This luncheon at Brasserie Beck ( 1101 K Street, NW Washington D.C. 202-408-1717 www.beckdc.com ) with winemaker Bernard Portet of CLOS DU VAL winery ( 5530 Silverado Trail PO Box 4350 Napa, CA. 94558 www.closduval.com ) and owners John and Henrietta Goelet( www.goeletwineestates.com ) and assists from Debra Eagle, Jennifer Horsley ( both of CLOS DU VAL ) and Tim Gural ( Washington Wolesalers ) was ONE OF THE BEST tasting/luncheons that I have been to in a very long time. No attention to detail was spared, Jennifer and Debra were on it from start to finish and worked beautifully greeting everyone, making introductions, seating people and being sure everything went smoothly. I got to meet Henrietta Goelet and speak to her for awhile as people arrived. I discovered that she and her husband John have both a farm here in Virginia and one outside of Paris, France where they divide their time. I had already met John about a year or so ago when I invited him to come join Jennifer here for a tasting she was conducting of a spread of John's wines : Californian, French, and Australian. He spent about thirty minutes here meeting and greeting our customers while Jennifer poured them wines. I took some photos, too of that and will at some point have time to include them here on this blog page.

     I had met Bernard before at a tasting years ago ( back in the mid eighties at a then popular D.C. restaurant pretty much at the corner of Connecticut Avenue and M Streets N.W. D.C.  which I cannot now recollect). I think he was there with his brother Dominique that helped him for awhile in Napa at CLOS DU VAL. They were tasting a vertical of whatever wines they had at the time, again which I cannot remember the details. I did enjoy that event quite a bit but not as much as I did this past Monday's luncheon.

     Then back two years ago sometime in 2006 Bernard Portet came here to Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Ave. Wash. D.C. N.W. 2008 202-363-4265 www.clevelandparkwine.com sales@clevelandparkwine.com ) when he came to taste me on his " new " releases. I took some great pictures of him here in the store then and gave him copies at the luncheon. I think he was pleased. I also gave him a couple of wine-collages I made as well as a poem I wrote.

     It was nice for me to have a chance to share with Bernard that both his son had already been to the store as well as the young winemaker from the DOMAINE NIZAS in the southwest of France which the Goelet's own. The only one I have not seen again is Bernard's brother Dominique that for so many years made at TALTARNI Vineyards ( www.taltarni.com.au ) in Victoria, South Australia. I look forward to seeing you again Dominique! A la prochaine Bernard et Dominique!!

     I took some really good pictures at this extraordinary event and will include them here shortly. It was a small, intimate gathering with just four small tables back in the private dining room at Brasserie Beck. There were friends of John and Henrietta Goelet's there, and a few of us from the trade ( writers, catering planners , retail store and restaurant personnel ). You can't get more personal than this and it went off seemlessly. The 2006 Chardonnay was poured as well as four special Cabernet Sauvignon offerings : the three CLOS DU VAL Stags Leap wine district Cabs : 2004, 2001, 1992 and the Reserve 1985. The 1985 could not be called the Stags Leap district yet because it was not yet declared officially as an area even though it was back then. The presentation of the four wines already poured and ready before each of us was enough to set the mood for me. On top of all of this I was able to invite my college roommate Jim who toying with opening a restaurant of his own in Lewisburg West Virginia. Jim is a big fan of Bernard's wines and was thrilled to be able to finally meet Bernard.

     The Salad Frisee with Lardons, Poached Egg and a Sherry Vinaigrette with the 2006 Chardonnay was wonderful. The four Cabernets with the Grilled Beef Steak in a Cabernet Reduction were great too, though the 1992 was sublime with it in my opinion. I loved drinking the others. I was really impressed with all four. They reminded me of really fine Bordeaux wines.

     There was a great dessert of Blood Orange Sorbet with Sugar Encrusted Champagne Grapes and a  coffee served like I have never seen before but which I thoroughly enjoyed.

     Bernard spoke beautifully, eloquently and with complete knowledge and command of these wines. he knew them inside out - had sweated every last detail and drop of their production from vine to bottle. I'm sure he was pleased to finally taste the fruits of his and everyone else's hard labors to get the wines to this magnificent stage. Cheers to you Bernard.

     I will include in my next blog what Bernard said as I quickly wrote down his words. They are very much worth repeating and taking under serious advisement as most of it is right-on and just great common sense and attention to detail. I do not have time now so I will leave you with this and some pictures to get you all curious for the rest which I will type here soon.  

     We just received a fresh shipment of CLOS DU VAL and TALTARNI wines today and they will shortly be priced. Call Mike Martin or me ( Tony Quinn ) at 202-363-4265 for orders or an update. Soon I will have a price to offer you, too on the fabulous 1992 Stags Leap district Cabernet Sauvignon.   TONY

     

No comments: