Thursday, September 25, 2008

Jean & Niece Anne Trimbach of TRIMBACH winery, Ribeauville, Alsace, France Here Last Night Tasting Their Current Releases, Wed. Sept. 24th, 2008





















     It was great to have Jean here again with us again : I think it was his third visit to the store. We had a blast and a number of you managed to show up and meet both Jean and his niece, Anne. She is the daughter of his brother Pierre who makes all the wines. Hubert is their father and so as Jean pointed out on the label of the Reserve Pinot Gris, 2003, $24.99 ( their names are on the front label, all three except for Anne's name - she's the " new " addition , i.e. the future of Trimbach , and charming and beautiful, too ) three generations of Trimbach's are represented.

     Everyone showed up, this is big stuff! We had John W. Laird ( Vice President , European Estates , NY of importers Chateau & Estates ) show up first to be sure everything was set and ready. I assured him it was or soon would be. I was not worried, I have done hundreds of these and they are all, believe me important and have to be orchestrated and managed well. Jean and Anne are our rock stars in this business and when they showed up they both looked great and the part! Jean who I know well enough walked right past me by the tasting table and that was a fun touch of his. I liked it. We were both ready to have a great three hours here and that we did. 

     I introduced everyone first to Jean and Anne and then John. Things went smoothly. People came over and tasted and bought and Jean signed their bottles. At the end of the tasting I got Anne to sign some of the bottles as well and they wines shown beautifully, all of them, so stylish, so polished, so much a reflection of their various unique terroirs! Wow, this was impressive. I loved both the simple 2005 clean steely and so fresh, $16.49 and the reserve, fuller, richer more intense Rieslings: the Reserve 2003 Pinot Noir, $21.49 has a lovely spicy, clove taste, medium-to-light-bodied that will complement many a dish. 

     We tasted the 2005 Pinot Blanc, $16.49 and the 2005 Gewurztraminer, $22.99 and the other three I have just mentioned. For a real treat we tasted the 200 " Cuvee Des Seigneurs De Ribeauville " Gewurztraminer, $41.49 and the 2001 " Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling , $49.99. I could not get over the finesse, brightness and overall elegance/refinement of the 2001 Cuvee Frederic Emile - that is a great bottle of wine!

     Anne is the daughter of Pierre Trimbach, Jean's older bother who makes the wines while Jean helps promote them. This is Anne's first visit to the U.S. and it sounds as if she will be helping Jean promote the sales of the wines. Jean kept telling me during the tasting that I could give her my orders. I liked that. I'm sure if I had that she would have had them her this morning a l'heure comme il le faute! 

     Eric Platt and Christian of the Pinnacle House were also on hand to be sure that everything went smoothly. I was pleased to have Christian here to give him additional orders as we sold more of the wines. I ran into both Xavier ( wife ) and Emilio( girlfriend ) with there significant others outside at 8 PM when I walked to NAM VIET restaurant to see the owner  Ricky and let him know about his special guests coming to dine soon! It was great to see you again Emilio! We love Nam Viet. I know that Eric Platt ordered some to take home to his wife. When he told her that he was here at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 202-363-4265, www.clevelandparkwine.com  sales@clevelandparkwine.com ) shae asked him to pick up some food to bring home from Nam Viet ; one big family we are.

     We have all these wines from last night as well as others from TRIMBACH. Call Mike or Tony at 202-363-4265 and ask for vintage, price and availability.

     It was a treat to have both Jean and Anne here last night. They both really were super as they poured, explained the wines and signed bottles. You can see in the pictures how good everyone looked. For more technical information on each of these wines go to : contact@maison-trimbach.fr 03 89 73 60 30 / fax : 03 89 73 89 04 , 15, route de Bergheim, 68150 Ribeauville. Cheers, thanks- merci Jean et Anne - revenez nous voir!   TONY

No comments: