Friday, August 29, 2008

Owner Max di Leanardo of Di Lenardo Vineyards, Friuli, Italy Here May-June 2006 With Importer Brennan Downey, Son Of Michael Downey






     It's always fun to have Max di Lenardo of di LENARDO Vineyards ( www.dileanardo.it, Gonars, Friuli ) here in the store. The first time I met him a couple perhaps it was in 2004 (? ) I thought : " here's a man that had just walked off the runway of a Armani shoot! Handsome, piercing bright, warm eyes that tower over me. We have now been selling Max's wines for almost five years and they are really well-received here by our customers. 

     Michael Downey who I used to work with at the Mayflower Wines & Spirits back in the mid 80's first brought me a Max Di Lenardo wine that I could not refuse. He brought me the " Ronco Nole " ( we now still sell it, the 2006, $16.49 at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits, www.clevelandparkwine.com, call 202-363-4265 for more information ) which is a delicious dry, bright, round, fruit-forward concoction by Max of Refosco( an indigenous grape variety to Friuli- like a Rhone a bit, a Rhone and a Cabernet Franc perhaps blend ? ) and Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. It was decadently delicious the first time Michael brought me some, they must have really toasted/charred those barrels, wow! They have toned it down a bit, it's lost a touch of it's warmth and fire but still has an appeal that is irresistible/unmistakable!

     Michael has since passed away I am sorry to say but his son Brennan, daughter Shannon  and wife Peggy are keeping his memory and his company Michael Downey Selections ( Lorton, VA. ) alive, well, kicking and full of great wines and values, too. Brennan now comes to see us here. Before that it was Bill McKinney that I believe actually discovered di Lenardo and brought it to Michael's attention? They are all a good, solid team. We will be receiving a new shipment of value wines from them this coming week of September, 2008. I'm typing now on Friday, August 29th, 2008 as it drizzles softly outside.

     We just sold out of the TOH Tocai dry ( some great weight and mineral as well as citrus taste and backbone )white. I wrote it up in one of my recent store emails to bring attention to it. In Friuli they are all really proud of their Tocai dry white wines. The Pinot Grigio wines may pay the bills in large part but it's the Tocai that gets them really excited and you can both see and feel their pride when they speak of their Tocai wines. We do have some of the excellent 2007 Pinot Grigio ( what's not to like? It's so appealing and forward and pleasing, like filtered sunshine through the Pinot Grigio grape right into your glass! )now in time for Labor Day weekend, $12.49 so stop by and get some of it and the excellent red Ronco Nole. Count on finding more of the TOH Tocai here next week. Cheers, have a great Labor's Day weekend, too.  

     Here are four pictures that I took of that visit with Max and Brennan back in late May, early June ( I can't remember exactly ). Hope you like them and see what I'm talking about when I first met Max. Ciao,  TONY

No comments: