Thursday, July 24, 2008

Tyrrel Myburgh ( winemaker ) of MAN Vintners/ JOOSTENBERG Here At Cleveland Park Wines With Rep Olivier Lotterie Tuesday July 22nd, 2008











     It was great to see Tyrrel again after about three years. Tyrrel came and launched MAN Vintners here then with the MAN dry Chenin Blanc and the dry MAN red Cabernet Sauvignon. That's all that Country Vintners had in stock at that point. They were waiting for the container to get here from South Africa. We were being proactive and getting the ball rolling early!  We pretty much sold everything that we had at the tasting and reordered immediately. I think Tyrrel had samples of the other wines to taste so that people could get an idea of what would soon be available. We tasted the Pinotage, the Shiraz, the Merlot and the Sauvignon Blanc.

     On this recent go-round of tastings I really liked the whole line but ordered more Shiraz because it is so delicious and bright and " right " with no edge or disturbances- just soft and full and round on the palate - at the edge of being too fruity. Chill slightly and enjoy by itself or with many a grilled/seasoned or well-marinated meal, vegetable and grain as well as meat. Lovely.

     I liked the Pinotage myself much better. It's drier and less fruity and less full in flavor. It suffers and benefits both from more highs and lows in the taste. I refer to it as having space inside it so that my palate has both room to breathe and spread itself out completely. I love that idea of space. I want to have that room to become a part of the wine if that makes any sense. So I bought both! They will all sell for $10 or less a bottle and will disappear quickly. They have attractive, colorful labels, too.

     We will also sell the JOOSTENBERG ( a red flagship blend , and an unoaked Chenin Blanc-Viognier ) shortly. I have not tasted those yet but they are from Tyrrel's family vineyard. Check out : <> , and <>. ALSO : <> ( 27 21 886 7532 , Stellenbosch, <>. Come by and try the new wines in August when we receive our order.

     In the MAN whites we will have the Sauvignon Blanc, the Chardonnay and the Chenin Blanc. They are all from the 2007 vintage. The reds are all from the 2006 vintage. The Sauvignon was my preferred for drinking now because it is the lightest and it's hot. The Chenin Blanc is a bit richer and more intense with more weight. The Chardonnay spends a bit of time in oak and it is beautifully-made. I love the beginning flavors and then the extra body of the wine catches up to me and so I would rather enjoy it in September of October when things cool down once again. Of course these are just my personal thoughts. As I told Tyrrel the wines are all beautifully-crafted. It's just a question of what you like or not but not of the quality. It is there in these wines and so affordable, too. Cheers Tyrrel and Laurent. Here are some of the pictures I took during the tasting this week.

     Olivier Lotterie ( with the glasses )works for Vineyard Brands imports (<>) along with Danny Haas. Both bring me lots of interesting people in the business and I thank them both for that. Enjoy.   TONY

No comments: