Saturday, July 19, 2008

David Pinzolo With FALESCO Umbrian Italian Wines Here Tuesday, July 15th Tasting/Setting Up Ardeo Dinner Thursday September 25th, 2008













    It's always great to get David Pinzolo here in the store whether he's tasting us or you our customers on his excellent selections of Italian wines. He's a live encyclopedia of Italian information on anything wine and Italian , whether area or soil or indigenous grape variety. I always  hear a good anecdote, phrase, and or story from David and he always delivers it with one of his broad smiles that covers his entire face from ear to ear!

      This Tuesday we were talking of the excellent FALESCO mostly reds and two whites, all dry; and including the two dessert wines, one red and one white. I rediscovered the delicious white EST EST EST this go-round of tastings as well as the dessert PASSIRO Lazio that blew me away with it's freshness/brightness/ripeness and yet not-no-non-at-all-cloyingness! It was my pick this time, expensive but stunning. We'll get some here really soon I promise.

     We were talking about our proposed dinner at Ardeo in September, Thursday the 25th, 2008. I tasted the incredible indigenous FERENTANO white made from the Roscetto grape. I love it, always pleases me just so much more than many whites do. I also tasted the Sangiovese and reveled in it's bright red toasty, roasted low-acids red that has hardly any bite but continues to please and tease from start to finish. What a great everyday value it is, too. Owner Riccardo Cotarella is also a lover of the Merlot grape and he makes two that are superb, one for everyday ( UMBRIA MERLOT ) and one when you splurge ( MONTIANO ). I liked both but this time was snowed by the more earthy, peppery, rustic yet appealing for me Cabernet blend of both Cabernet Sauvignon( 70% ) and Cabernet Franc ( 30% ) called MARCILIANO. Wow. 

     We will probably use the less expensive dessert red called POMELE ( from the Aglianico grape ) for our meal because it is half the price of the PASSIRO. Oh well, I'll just drink some of the PASSIRO on the side! Kidding!!

     Here are some of the photos I took when David came through this Tuesday with rep Jody Jackman to taste some of the recent bottling for both the store and for our dinner.

     I included a picture of French wines I had tasted just prior to seeing David and Jody. Sorry, that's what happens sometimes when I have to rush to get this done. I want it to be fresh and fluid and " of the moment " and alive and organic. I will make some mistakes, sorry. Please try and understand that I have to work quickly and sometimes it is easier to leave things as is and publish them so that they are " out-there " for you all to enjoy or not. I don't have time to think over things to much, just think it through once or twice, type and download pictures and proof and hope I catch everything and then push the PUBLISH button. Voila! Hope you like these more artsy photos. I sure am having fun with them. Here's to our upcoming dinner at Ardeo. I can hardly wait, they do such a good job with the food and matching the foods to the wines.

     Don't you all just love the colors of these wines? They are so bright and rich and full of life and they beckon me to them, my lips to taste them again and again! Cheers,   TONY

No comments: