Friday, June 27, 2008

Winemaker Alexis Rousset-Rouard of DOMAINE de la CITADELLE Here 25 Juin 2008
















     On Wednesday the 25th, 2008 importer Didier Simonin ( based in Charlottesville, VA. specializing in small estate-bottled French wineries ) brought me Alexis Rousset-Rouard to meet. Alexis is a young, enthusiastic, energetic Frenchman that makes really fine wines from the Luberon area. As Didier pointed out you do not see many Luberon wines today in the U.S. market. It's the southern Rhone area and I think he is correct. As Alexis pointed out to me ( and showed me with his map ) it is the only area where the wines are made both on the north as well as the south side of the small hill range. I did not know that.

     At the time that Didier and Alexis arrived I was trying the South African " Cape Classics collection " with rep. Zingo Munger. My Country Vintner rep Chris Pigott brought him and while Chris did his paper work I tasted the wines with Zingo and really enjoyed his MULDERBOSCH dry Chardonnay, his single vineyard RUSTENBERG Cabernet Sauvignon red blend ( it always makes me stop and take notice and pay grateful homage to it ! ). Zingo had five or so including an excellent Ken Forrester dry Chenin Blanc that was equally impressive. Oh, there was a less-expensive red, too. I can't remember it's name, it sell for a whole lot less money though and if Zingo does a tasting here I am sure that we will include it.

     While tasting with Zingo both Didier and Alexis looked around the store. Zingo really liked our eclectic selection and told me so even before I started tasting his wines. I explained how I worked the store and sold stories and the people that were responsible for creating the wines, not the scores or the artificial ( commercial ) hype. Everyone has to hear this story that comes here. It's part of who we are and I hope it sets us apart and yet still a part of the broad, wonderful diversity of wines now being made all over the world. I will never get tired, there are too many wines to still discover and be intrigued, titillated by, mad at, joyed for, etcetera. I'm looking forward to working more with Zingo ( his nickname gained in college ). I asked him but forgot what he said his " other " real name is. Zingo just stuck so it's on his card!

     I was taking pictures through the Riedel red wine glass-bowl as is my current custom and tasting wines and waxing poetic and not, depending. It was time to taste Alexis' wines now. I introduced him to Zingo as I handed both Didier and Alexis a glass of first the MULDERBOSCH dry Chardonnay and then the single vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon red blend from RUSTENBERG. I think it's nice to share these moments so I try and pull everyone in. A few minutes later when we tasted Alexis' wines from DOMAINE de la CITADELLE ( one white, two reds ) I offered a glass to Zingo. He had been in Luberon, he had visited a bordering vineyard there and this all came out as we tasted, talked and I snapped my pictures. It's fun to make and discover these connections. It's really become a small world and there are lots of points of contact for many of us in whatever business.

     I really liked all three of Alexis' wines : distinct,balanced, focused and food-friendly. I will buy the white that goes along with the red that I purchased. The special, single vineyard wine, I think an 2004 is still in France but coming here soon. I loved the 2005 " Le Chataignier ", $14.99 Cotes du Luberon red and it is here and ready for you all to stop by and buy a bottle. It's got a great spiciness and yet it is not heavy or cloying or too intense. It will hold it's own against many foods served now in this heat and yet not take anything away from them, just add things. The white was equally impressive. So stay-tuned and go to www.domaine-citadelle.com. Alexis is situated in Menerbes ( tel : 04 90 72 41 58, 84560 area ). 

     Alexis wrote for me : " Bravo pour les vins, Bravo pour le Francais. Bravo pour l'Accueil. A bientot, " Alexis R.R.  25 Juin 2008

     Here are some pictures for you all to enjoy and get caught-up in the moment as I was. Sante, cheers,    TONY

No comments: