Thursday, June 12, 2008

Paolo Coppo At Proof restaurant, Thurs. 1:30 PM March 6th, 2008











     It was great to see Paolo again at lunch. Last time I saw him was in Vin Italy two years ago when I spotted him outside trying to smoke a cigarette. I don't think he was happy to be disturbed! Oh well, he smiled, we said " hello " and then we went on our way, David Bryant, Chef Geoffrey of Chef Geoff's ( spelling ? ) , Randy from Whole Foods, Chris Pigott ) Country Vintner ) and me, Anthony Quinn.
     At lunch both the 2006 Gavi " La Rocca ", $22.99 and the " Costebianche " 2005 Chardonnay, $24.99 - both whites from the Piemonte blew me away. I loved the Gavi. They both worked quite well with the chef's penne and small spicy meatballs. I thought that the spices overpowered the wines and was sorry for owner Paolo Coppo of COPPO. I ordered this dish because Paolo had ordered it. I don't think he figured that it would be that spicy.
     I loved the red wines : the Barberas and Barbera blends. I also loved the silky elegance of the 2003 Barolo( Nebbiolo ). We'll have some bottles soon : it's so silky soft and elegant and will make great splurge gifts for some of our customers here at Cleveland Park Wines and Spirirts ( 202-363-4265. BOTH the two whites, the Gavi and the Cahrdonnay cut through the heat of the spicy meat balls. The Gavi was good with it, the Chardonnay was great. It may have worked even better than the fabulous reds to cut through the intense, pervasive heat/spice of the meatballs.
     Here are some of the photos I took. I was across the table from Paolo and the bright sunshine was behind him giving the photos such a bright yellow glow. I also took pictures of the restaurant as well as a parting shot of Paolo outside smoking a cigarette. Thanks Paolo, thanks Winebow. Thanks Jody Jackman ( my Winebow rep for coming to the store to help customers enabling me to be at the tasting/luncheon and enjoy myself. We have these wines pretty much all the time. The Barbera reds always sell out pretty much immediately. Cheers,  TONY

No comments: