Thursday, June 19, 2008

Luigi Bosca Here Himself of LUIGI BOSCA, Mendoza, Argentina, Tues. June 17th,2008










     It was great to get Luigi Bosca here himself this Tuesday in the store tasting a series of his " new " releases in all styles and all price brackets. It was refreshing to spend some time with Luigi and realize that we share some common ground. One thing in particular that we both agree on is that it is a shame to put all your marbles into one jar : i.e. only talk about Malbec and forget all the " other " wonderful grape varieties that Argentina has to offer. 

     I was thrilled to see that Luigi and both importers Dan Terasa and Fletcher Henderson brought us " everything but " Malbec and that suited me just fine. We tasted great value/everyday Cabernet Sauvignon, Tempranillo and white crisp,smooth Torontes. We will order all three. They will all three sell for $9.99 a bottle and will all be good summer/warm weather selections. I especially liked the traditional, more restrained style of the Cabernet Sauvignon. It's not as fruity or lush as the Tempranillo and better with food. Both styles will find receptive palates. The Torontes is " new " / a first-release and very smooth, bright and easy to the tongue's touch. It will be refreshing and nice to enjoy in this warm weather outside or in with or without food. Medium-to-light-bodied and a breath of fresh air.

     I really liked the Merlot as well because again it was restrained and more tightly-knit , slow to open and quite well suited to a number of foods. It is also not too heavy to enjoy as both humidity and intense sunshine weigh us down and test our resolve. The Chardonnay is also a lovely balance of lots of creamy butter and just accents of oak. It will also be " new " to us.The Malbec and the Pinot Noir will also return and all four will sell for $16.49 a bottle. That Pinot Noir has done beautifully here. When Luigi talked about it he was not sure whether it would do well here in the U.S. market or not. It was another breath of fresh air for us here in Cleveland Park and it was a pleasure to suggest something different and which Argentina is not as well-known for. It's really excellent, balanced and with lovely toasty-roasted cherry-cranberry bursts-surges of crystal-fresh flavors this Pinot. We are out now and this order of assorted Luigi Bosca wines will come on the 24th or 25th of this month.

     Luigi really relaxed as I snapped pictures and tried his wines in my large red burgundy Riedel stemware. I took his pictures through this glass and it is quickly becoming my signature style of recording both the wines' and the wine maker/ owner's visits here to the store and to local D.C. restaurants when I am invited. I take some of both pictures now as I also want some more traditional pictures. I do want to " add " to the equation in photography as well as wine selections and so I am always looking to push the limits and the norms a bit each time to reveal what else lurks around and ready to be discovered/appreciated/drawn from relative obscurity. Every wine needs a mentor. I'm trying here at Cleveland Park Wines and Spirits to mentor many wines, many regions, many indigenous grape varieties. It's a fun/intense challenge with many highs and lows. It's a never-ending challenge : one that I readily embrace and one which keeps me so " still-in-love " after all these thirty years or so with the world of wine and their enjoyment with family and friends and new acquaintances, especially when combined at some point with food.

     I also bought a few bottles of Luigi's " Bosquet " red field blend 2001 that's a traditional, old-style-Best-with-food type of wine. It's showing all it's strengths and imperfections - all out there to be examined, loved, appreciated, reviled. I love this type of wine. It's slow to open, best with food, chiseled just like a face with wear and tear and as honest as can be. It says to me : take me as I am , you see and taste all, nothing hidden. I loved tasting it with Luigi and loved all it's highs and lows that kept my palate at constant alert as not to miss anything. The food was the only thing missing. I can't remember the price but it's the most expensive of the lot here and worth buying for special occasions.

     As I was snapping away taking pictures, moving here and there, helping customers and tasting Luigi's wines I told him that I really like his wines. I repeated myself several times telling him basically the same things each time with different words : he makes polished, elegant, well-focused/balanced wines that breathe nicely on their own and which never interfere with the food / just add to it's enjoyment along with the wine. The response here to Luigi's wines overall has been really positive and complementary with just an occasional voice raised against. I usually say even to them try another bottle, perhaps another,different Luigi Bosca wine for you this time? It's something I don't mind suggesting and fighting for as I think that Luigi is really batting close to 100% these days.

     Hope you enjoy these pictures of Luigi and us. Cheers,  TONY

     

1 comment:

rae said...

Discover the splendor and magnificence of the wines of Argentina. Learn more about their culture, wine regions, geography and cuisines through http://vino.com/country/argentina/. Cool, cool site!