Monday, June 23, 2008

Kate Whitmore of Kerlin Imports/Dinner w/ Gaby & Hans Lang of the HANS LANG vineyrad, Rheingau, Germany







It was a dinner that Kate Whitmore set up with the German Wine Society's local D.C. chapter with owners / wine makers Gabby & Hans Lang at our local French restaurant four blocks down Connecticut Ave. N.W. : Les Petits Plats. We know brother and sister ( Cecile Et Fred, owners ) of Les Petits Plats and it seemed like a fun place to have this Wine Maker Dinner. I was invited and so I was able to come just after things got rolling when I got off of work. I understand from talking to both Kate and others that it was a grand success. Cecile was there and so she is in some of the photos to the right. Also in the photos is Mike as well as a couple other customers and me.

We went through a range of Hans' " new " releases. We did not pour his ever-popular liters for the evening ( we now have the 2006 Riesling liter for about $12 0r $13 a bottle. That's great when you figure how strong the euro is these days. ). We poured at least one Kabinett, one Spatlese, one Auslese and a sparkling sekt of theirs. We may also have poured a Spatburgunder ( a dry red Pinot Noir ). I know that we now have an excellent Spatburgunder from Hans Lang in the store that sells for $20 a bottle and it is excellent. We always try and have an assortment of the fine dry German wines that Kate brings to the U.S. market. She's one of my favorite quality German importers. For price and value you cannot do much better.

It was a great evening and at the end Hans got up to speak about all his wines and the direction they are going in. He's such a gentle man and so polite and it seems he pours himself into his wines that show incredible versatility with the Riesling grape. Call us at Cleveland Park Wines And Spirits for more information at : 202-363-4265. If we don't have one of Hans' wines or any others of Kate's we will be happy to order it for you. Kate is a dear and loyal friend and we've done some wonderful events together. She even drove out to my house here in Virginia once to come to one of my own art shows ( with my own art ) and was so complementary. Thanks Kate!

In the pictures seated by Han's side just in front of him is his wife Gaby. She, too is charming and beautiful and what a smile she has. I've seen both here and at the store on several occasions. We also did a dinner with Gaby and Kate at Nam Viet that was a resounding success. And I've been invited to join both Kate and Gaby at Bardeo once and I felt so special there eating Bardeo's fine food, sipping wines with two beautiful women almost as if they were there just for me. I'll find and include these pictures at a later date. Here are the ones from our marvelous dinner at Les Petits Plats. Sante, cheers, TONY

No comments: