Monday, June 23, 2008

Giampaolo Motta of Tuscany In Store July 22nd, 2005 Tasting With Me











In my quest to continue with relating my " stories " about life and wine and everything else I have a backlog of pictures and stories to combine that are mounting so high now. I fear that if I do not persist at getting these into my blogs that I will never do it. In this case with Giampaolo the store is as much about him and the serendipitous nature of chances and connections as it is about his marvelous, excellent two reds : the 2001 Chianti Classico " Giorgio "( 85% Sangiovese/ 15% Merlot ) and the LA MASSA 2001 " IGT " ( 55% Sangiovese / 40% Merlot ). These wines are situated in the " Golden Basin " at Panzano and perched at an altitude of 360 meters, terrain primarily consisting of shaley clay and marl. There were five thousand cases made of the " Giorgio " and one hundred and sixty-five of the " IGT ". They received high Parker scores and three glasses from Gambero Rosso. I loved them and bought some of both.

We're now long sold-out of these two wines and I just asked my " new " local rep from Monument Imports what are the " new " vintages and prices. I shudder to think of how much they will now cost with the really weak U.S. dollar. Oh well, I think I may get a chance to try at least one of them and then I can at least buy some bottles for the store for nice gifts.

Like I said, this story is as much about my " chance " ( what are the odds?!? ) meeting with Giampaolo in our store in Cleveland Park. It was just a chain of events that began to unwind that led us to the place where we ended. I think we really hit it off and forged a strong bond : all this in really quite a relatively small amount of time.

I must also add that two of my favorite customers ( Ernie and Lloyd ) chanced to come buy their wines when Giampaolo was visiting us for the first time. I took pictures of Giampaolo, of me and him together and pictures of Ernie, Lloyd and Giampaolo, too. I will download these onto the blog because they too tell many a story. Both Ernie and Lloyd seemed to enjoy this serendipitous meeting and tasting. I think we were all better for the rest of the day for this. I know I was : I could not get over the chain of events that led me just that closer ( as well as my daughter who is a big fan of ) to Johnny Depp the actor.

I don't know how any of it really happened. I cannot for me remember the chain of inquiries that led me to Giampaolo, Elton John and then to Johnny Depp! Wow! This was quite the story. Here it is for you to make of it what you will. I have been on a quest to meet Johnny and to get a signature and picture of him for my daughter now for quite some time. I am eternally hoping that someday he will come to an opening across the street from our wine store on Connecticut Avenue, N.W. at the Uptown movie house. So far ( it's June 23rd, 2008 as I type ) Johnny has not.

I asked Giampaolo if he had ever met Johnny? He responded " no " at first but then changed his answer to " yes ". He remembered meeting him at the Elton John Aids Benefit where he was the main wine event/pourer/personality. He was standing at a urinal in London at this event when he chanced to look to his side and see Johnny. He said something like Johnny was an actor to which Johnny replied that he Giampaolo was the wine man. It was brief and Giampaolo exited the mens' bathroom and found his wife close by. He told her how he had just met Johnny and his wife did not believe him. A few seconds later Johnny exited the bathroom and spying Giampaolo he said something like " See you old friend ! ".

I love stories like these. I asked Giampaolo to write my daughter a letter about this serendipitous meeting of his with Johnny Depp. Giampaolo was pleased to accomodate me in this odd request. He also wrote me a lovely note ( " Dear Tony , The most funny and happy wine store ever see I in my life. What an energy !! Please come to help me in LA MOTTA. I will be glad to work with you ! With love of wine that we feel here ! Thanks for this energy ... big kiss ". I will not write what he said to my daughter. That's between them. It was a marvelous meeting with you Giampaolo. Thanks for everything.

Giampaolo is a young, energetic, friendly and very warm person with a big smile and generous heart. I'm glad I met you Giampaolo. You are as close as my daughter and I have come to meeting Johnny Depp and that's okay with me. It's vicarious and good and someday we'll actually meet him. For the time being I've met you and that's more than enough reward for me. You're a gentleman and a very fine winemaker, too. Cheers to you and to your family and continued success at LA MASSA. I am pictured in some of these pictures along with Lloyd, Ernie and Giampaolo.

I look forward to seeing you again Giampaolo and to selling more of your wine. Take care, TONY

No comments: