Sunday, May 18, 2008

Robert Mondavi Remembered May 18th, 2008

It's funny how memories just begin to occur as you focus on things. This thing now and center stage is Robert Mondavi. I prepared our dinner for my family tonight and at dinner I brought out the bottle I have of 1995 Napa Pinot Noir signed by Robert on the label itself, and a drawing done by Magrit on the back side by Magrit and signed by her. Funny, I thought that Magrit was the sharper one when I met them . By that I mean I think that the connection I had with her was stronger than the one I had with Robert. And yet on the label that Robert signed he got both my name Anthony and the year 1998 correctly. Magrit, on the other hand drew a dancing Bacchus with a glass of wine in it's left hand raised as was one of his feet. She drew it in gold ink. But when she signed and dated it she wrote 1997. So whom was really the sharper? Does it even matter ? No. Not at all because they were a team that functioned together well and filled in each other's blanks and spaces. Kudos to both Robert and Magrit. I wish that I had gotten the chance to know them better.
At our dinner table I told all my family about Robert and Magrit. I tried to instill in them some of the enthusiasm and excitement I feel when I think of them. I tried to make them and their immense contributions to the world as well as the wine world come alive for them ; to beat in their hearts as it does even now for me ten years after having met them both here in Washington D,C, at the Willard Intercontinental Hotel. They were listening to me and I think trying to become involved. It's a stretch for them but not for me.
Earlier I emailed the Robert Mondavi winery and told them about my two blogs and about the four poems that I am about to include on my blog called : chatpoetry.blogspot.com. I will try and do that later tonight. If not tonight I will get it done no later than this Tuesday when I go to work.
At our dinner table I was reminded of another Robert Mondavi moment for me. It took place in Timonium, Maryland years ago. I can't remember the dates or anything specific. Here is what I do remember : I was invited by a man named Mark who's last name I cannot recollect. It will come to me. It was when we both worked for Laurent Selections an import company of mostly great value French wines solf by president Laurent Vonderheyden. Mark was the spokesperson for a vertical Robert Mondavi tasting in Timonium, MD. This came through prior connections of his. He must have thought well enough of me to invite me.
This was a big event and it included some important people attending. I remeber that Bob Parker. Jr. was invited and I was looking forward to seeing Bob after so many years. I used to sell him wines way back when in 1984-5 when he would come to the Mayflower Wines and Spirits and fill his cart as he walked around the store and asked us each what wines to buy. I sold the American' California wines then and so he'd ask me what I recommended. Anyway, it had been quite awhile since I had last seen Bob.
At the tasting there were quite a number of people seated in a large room with the various glasses already poured and numbered of a vertical of Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignons going back twenty yeras or so. There were many white sheets with circles for each glass and the years listed within the circle. I was impressed. Someone had really done their prep work. I remember working hard to taste through all the wines and to make my evaluations. Mark asked various people what they thought. I remember clearly that he had asked Bob what he thought. Bob was quite clear with his impressions and I remember not agreeing with him at all. We were tasting the same wines and our impressions were so different.
At some point Mark called out to me and asked me what I thought. I told him that I disagreed with Bob and I went on to say why and to explain. I didn't feel bad about this, perhaps a bit self-conscious and awkward for disagreeing with such a well-respected and famous taster. Oh well, I spoke my peace and that was that.
Somewhere I think I have my notes on all this and I am now encouraged to find them. If indeed I do I will add them to another blog. It was a pleasure and a privilege to be included in this tasting. Mark, thank you for including me. The wines showed quite well, some better than others. It was an invaluable eye-opener and I learned from this tasting. Kudos to everyone that did such a great job to make it the success that it was. And Mark I will remember your last name and include it shortly! Sorry !! TONY

No comments: