Monday, May 5, 2008

Drinking FALESCO Vitiano Italian Dry Rose With My Wife

This was about the moment and sharing it with my wife. I think that many of this look forward to this particular moment in our daily lives. We even anticipate and plan it often. It's not always just by chance and sometimes can be quite elaborate. This particular moment last night was neither orchestrated or elaborate and yet it is one of the nicest times that I have shared with her. It ranks right up there where the few things involved were magnificent.
Let's see, there were the two of us. My wife was suffering a bit and not feeling her best. It may be that she is catching a cold ; the jury is still out on that one. There was our backyard starting to grow and multiply and bloom. Everywhere we looked there was baby green and softer-looking yellows. The sharpness and harshness of browns and dark holly greens were softened by all this abundant, lush growth and it was all amazingly appealing to the eye. And there was a bottle of Vitiano 2006 " Falesco " dry Umbrian rose from Italy. These were the key factors/players and it all spelled a wonderful two hours of peace and conversation/observation for both my wife and I. We grew closer together I am sure of that. I felt closer to her .
I was given the sample bottle of Vitiano to drink about a week ago by our rep Jody. She needed to place it again in our store. It was a priority of hers and I said that we would taste it in the store with customers when she came next to do a store tasting. Simple, not much else to discuss about that : problem solved. It's rose season as the weather warms us up and we have picnics and dine out on our terraces, decks, lawns - at tables, on blankets on the ground and we enjoy all those appetizers and cold cuts, salads and things fresh off our grills, sizzling and tasty and - watch out - hot!
I had been watering the things I had just transplanted and my wife had been reading our daughter's paper and offering suggestions. We united here out on our back deck and were ready to relax and put the world and all our duties and responsibilities off to the side for a little while. We have done this now for years and I think it brings a welcome relief and some sanity and good cheer back into our daily routines.
The minute I said I was going to bring us some wine my wife said " good " . We love wine, we love how we can relax and put things off for awhile. It relaxes us and this would be no exception tonight. I came back with the bottle of Falesco rose and probably mentioned quickly how much I liked meeting Riccardo Cotarella last year at Johny's On The Half Shell in Washington D.C. last year. I did. It was wonderful because he was passionate and inspired/fired by his wines and wine-making. It showed both in the wines themselves and in him. The food served that day also helped to really well showcase his various wines. I think that the rose may have been offered as an aperitif as people arrived and moved to the big table in the private dining room. We were all gathered around one large table and for the most past could see one another. I sat across the table from Riccardo. But I am getting off the story at hand. Let me now bring you back to my deck and my time shared with my wife.
I opened the bottle of wine and poured. I should have searched for some appetizers but was too tired : bad excuse. Oh well, I took the short-cut, the easy way out. Good thing that the wine was so fresh and good. It had to carry the whole libation show on it's shoulders as there was only it and nothing else to lend it support. It did not need it.
This Umbrian dry rose was a year old. The company needs to sell it and quick! The new 2007 vintage arrives any day now and there's no need for this older vintage anymore : a forgotten' lost soldier, a wine who's services are no longer needed or required. Heard that one before? Sad fate, it must be gotten rid of quickly! No time to waste.
I knew by it's darker color that it would be more flavorful and robust. I've always liked the wine in the past. I can't remember if it's made from Merlot or Sangiovese grapes, perhaps a blend? Anyway, often these one-year-old wines are a bit heartier, more robust and neither as fresh or as lively as those just-released. It might have had more of an edge, been more thick on th4e palate, it may also have had some sharpness and acidic edgyness. I was not sure what we would encounter. I did have a bottle of the Chateau Arromans white Entre-Deux-Mers downstairs in our refrigerator just in case. You don't want to spoil the moment ever if you can avoid it.
I needn't have worried : the wine was delicious and still bright and vibrant and very appealing. It had no roughness or sharpness, no heaviness. Rather it had an intriguing mix of dark and bright fruit flavors that teased and pleased the palate all in one. I was drawn into this taste, it captured my imagination especially with all the new lush vegetation. I could easily have seen myself imagining all the irises in various exotic colors blooming as I sipped this wine with my wife. That would have been fun, or to see the red bee-balm flower and mimmick the wine's small tongues' of flavors reaching out and touching us ; much like the red flowers that make me think of jester's loud vibrant hats that have tassels that fan out and catch the eye and the active imaginations like mine.
We both loved the wine and managed without any problem to enjoy it thoroughly and appreciatively. We were hungry and ready for the Perdue oven roaster chicken and awaiting the white pop-up. Our son checked it from time to time as he was quite hungry! We did finally enjoy dinner as we moved our small party of two inside and off our deck and into our dining room where we welcomed the company of our son.
We will soon be selling this 2006 Vitiano dry rosato umbria " Falesco " at $10 or under a bottle. Come get some while you can. I have a feeling that you will be as pleased as we both were. Cheers! Oh, we will follow up the 2006 with the 2007 and see how it sits on our palates in a completely different way. It may require food whereas the 2006 was a delight all by itself. Always something to look forward to and anticipate or not, depending on whether it's planned or serendipitous in nature. TONY

No comments: